Alternative- This City, mix comments puh-lease

andrushkiwt

hey everyone,

I actually received quite a bit of mssgs from the last experience posting here, most of them extremely helpful. Here's an old track that I spent a week or so on after adding Lepou Lecto (mesa boogie amp sim) and Recabinet 4 ("Oversize"- mesa boogie cab sim). Upgrading my amp and cab setup was the most common recommendation, so I gave it a try though I didn't retrack this older tune, I just threw the sims on it and messed with the dials and EQ for quite a while. Also, a helpful member advised that I widen the drums a bit, so I moved toms further out and hopefully it makes them sound a bit bigger. hmm, what else...the bass is compressed pretty hard, around 6.1:1 and is constantly taking around 2db's off, but hopefully it's even, full, and engaging. I made room at 50hz for the kick and reduced the bass a db or 2 there as well. Guitars are HP at 100 on the 12db slope, so hopefully the low end is all kick and bass, nice and clear. Please let me know if it's not on your system.

thanks to anyone who listens/comments, and for the help from many members the last time. The next track I post will be much better than this since I'm incorporating some tracking tips - this one was recorded about 6 months ago, but instruments mixed over this week again.

Levels sound good to me. I like the bass a lot. It's just on the edge of being too much, but not quite. For me, almost too much bass is the right amount. Nice round tone on that bass too. I'm not crazy about that reverse delay or whatever it is on the vocal. I heard it distinctly in two places in the song, the intro and later when the band holds while that delay echoes on. The drums sound good but that crash does not. There's a point midway through where you are using repeated crash hits--either that or a very noisy open hat. Maybe this is personal preference, but repeated crash hit just sound like noise, pretty much always and everywhere. Good song, playing and singing.

Levels sound good to me. I like the bass a lot. It's just on the edge of being too much, but not quite. For me, almost too much bass is the right amount. Nice round tone on that bass too. I'm not crazy about that reverse delay or whatever it is on the vocal. I heard it distinctly in two places in the song, the intro and later when the band holds while that delay echoes on. The drums sound good but that crash does not. There's a point midway through where you are using repeated crash hits--either that or a very noisy open hat. Maybe this is personal preference, but repeated crash hit just sound like noise, pretty much always and everywhere. Good song, playing and singing.

yeah, riding the cymbals/crash is a staple in these genres. I'll take another listen and see if I had a poor choice selection for it. I do forget to take time and think about which cymbals i'm using to ride on like that. good point. i agree that i pushed the bass a bit, i like it up there too like you said. it seemed, to me, that it rode the edge of being too bassy, but never crossed that line. Maybe that compressor is keeping it in a good spot throughout. preference though, i agree. thanks Ray

On headphones bass sounded good, on my full system (with sub) it was a little too heavy. I think if you pulled it back just a little it should sit well in both environments (full stereo system and headphones).

I have to also agree with the crashes. They didn't sound bad, volume was good, just a little over the top. If you kept them, most wouldn't notice, just a personal taste.

Pretty good stuff you have here.

On headphones bass sounded good, on my full system (with sub) it was a little too heavy. I think if you pulled it back just a little it should sit well in both environments (full stereo system and headphones).

I have to also agree with the crashes. They didn't sound bad, volume was good, just a little over the top. If you kept them, most wouldn't notice, just a personal taste.

Pretty good stuff you have here.

Cool, cool. Ok noted on the crashes. I'll be more aware of which ones I'm using for riding. Thanks DM

Others have picked out the same as what caught my ear. I would drop the bass just a touch personally. Nice tone to it but for this kind of tune, it could come back in the mix, just a touch though.

I liked the FX on the vocals. Suited the song for me.

Enjoyed the listen, thanks for sharing. :thumbs up:

I think it's been covered but I really like the bass tone, just needs to come down a bit I think. There are times when the vocal drifts in volume, maybe a little automation would iron that out if it's not on already? Like the beginning of "catch this city" is a little quiet compared to other parts. Vocal performance is great (no surprise!) Lots of nice little production touches all over. Drums and guitars sound good to me. :thumbs up:

forgot about this thread, ha. i actually listened to it again yesterday for the first time since i posted it here...i immediately thought "that bass is way too loud, what was i thinking". apparently, that happens. maybe i should give it more time...unfortunately, so many tunes, so little time. thnx for feedback Clean and Easlern

Bass might be hardest for me to balance. If I hear it with the drums alone, needs to come up. When I hear it with the whole mix, needs to come down. And then a .5 dB difference will mess it up. Maybe it's why people usually just squash it first thing, I haven't figured it out.

Back