Alright, back to the rock opera. New orignal "Wrath"

gdamn hovering lyrics thing. jesus. my OCD is going wacky.

I have the same impression as the last tune. Lots of things are lacking brightness/clarity. The guitars, especially, are on the dull/blurry side. Probably personal preference. If you're going to get it mastered, then all's good. But if it were my project, I'd want it a little brighter. Verse vocals are a little quiet.

It's a wild tune for sure. There must be some really low freqs in here. I can feel my hoodie moving but can't hear the bass very clearly. Snare is really not much snares involved. Is the snare turned off and tuned real high and damped?
Definitely has a lot of energy.

Not a fan of that snare-less snare. The bass is low in the mix. The guitar work is very busy during the 'verse' singing, makes it hard to distinguish/listen to the lyrics. I would think you'd want the lyrics (telling the 'story') to be clearer in a rock opera. Is it 'wrath of Peter'?

This will be mastered before final release, yes. (Also, the album version will have three other people doing the lead vocals instead of me, so I've got that to look forward to!)

Yeah, I'm not so sure about that snare sound myself. Got some new EZ-D kits recently and still trying to fine-tune them.

Yes, that lyric is "wrath of peter". I'll see about some more ducking on the guits for clarity.

I'll see about bumping bass a little more too.

Mix 2 definitely fixed a lot of what I took issue with in mix 1. Yeah, I’m wondering how low this bass is. I can’t really hear it or feel it on my headphones. I’ll listen to it on my system tomorrow or Thursday.

On headphones I'm not hearing much kick or low end generally. Guitars and vocals are sitting well. Got a real Devo vibe to the tune

I like the riff-really cool. I like the vocals during the verses, the intensity of the performance matches the tone and placement in the mix. The high bu vocal sounds too loud to me, dominates the other vocals. Reminds me of Zappa a bit. You have your own style and sound, but i think this could sound huuuge, i'm imagining zappas band playing this...All the performances are pretty tight i'm just imagining a bigger sound but i'm not sure how to get there from here. Enjoyed the song, except for the high bu vocals. : )

Ok, I've put up a new mix.

Narrowed the first verse to create a sense of claustrophobia.
Added some 'verb to the snare to increase body and reduce click.
Tweaked synth tones.

Went to mix #4. Love how you move from almost mono to full stereo. Love the feel of the song. Reminds me of They Might Be Giants. The vocal especially. Lead vocal sounds great.

I'd like just a bit more midrange to the guitar. Not quite enough bite.

Some of the high harmonies were pushing your range pretty hard. A pitchy spot or two.

Low end sounds just right to me. Drums too. Like the quirkiness in them.

"High bu vocals"?

Is that back up vocals? So turn the bgvox down a bit?

Of course it's back up vocals-and i still think the high bu vocals could come down, it gives the song a novelty feel and kind of puts the worse foot forward in that section of the song imo. As of now that high part really dominates and drowns out the other vocal parts which are obviously more in the range of the singer. Just my opinion of course you have your own sound and intentions. I really like the riff, cool tune.

I'm kind of hearing the same thing on the hi BGV's as Strato. They kind of test the top of the singer's range, so they come out a bit strident. And vox like that can be very present/loud in the mix.

That's actually the main melody line there.

The album version will be done by a soprano, which should help with pitch and strain. But I might try re-tracking it for this version in the interim.

Back