Allan's Resolve

Allan Holdsworth: GENIUS. Legato like butter. Tensor calculus level music theory brainiaciality.

Cool tune! Thanks for sharing :)
hey thanks for listening, cleared...

i think holdsworth's resolve to make his own music in the face of literally having to sell his gear at times to make it happen, is pretty cool,
so i wrote a song about it.
no connection between me and holdsworth,
i'm just a fan.

figured i'd bump this at least once....before i take it down for something new....

it's one of my better tunes.

and has live drums!
(thanks to Brent Dacus and Mike Musgrove........)

(i just got back from skiing, so it's fresh on my mind)

Sounds good. It takes me back to my days discovering Vai, Morse etc.

I'd say there's a little brashness in the cymbals, especially the hihats, somewhere around 6kHz that gets ahead of the less brash tones of everything else.

Sounds good. It takes me back to my days discovering Vai, Morse etc.

I'd say there's a little brashness in the cymbals, especially the hihats, somewhere around 6kHz that gets ahead of the less brash tones of everything else.

hey bouldersoundguy, thanks for chiming in...
you are the first to comment on 'brashness' in the high end,
i don't doubt it tho,
the capture was a 'trial' studio session, so the overheads were not dialed in and i had to work them a bit to get them to sound as crisp as i need them,
probably comes from that.
but no one else has ever mentioned that,
curious, what is your playback system like?

hey bouldersoundguy, thanks for chiming in...
you are the first to comment on 'brashness' in the high end,
i don't doubt it tho,
the capture was a 'trial' studio session, so the overheads were not dialed in and i had to work them a bit to get them to sound as crisp as i need them,
probably comes from that.
but no one else has ever mentioned that,
curious, what is your playback system like?

What I'm hearing is more of a tonal mismatch between the overheads and other stuff, not so much something wrong with the overheads. If you pushed a little of that range in a couple other instruments the overheads might sound fine to me. Or you could cut that range in the overheads. It depends on the overall tonal balance you're going for.

My home system is an old Onkyo surround receiver driving four Paradigm Titans, a JBL center speaker and a passable Jamo 10" sub. I'm rebuilding a Paradigm 12" sub to replace the Jamo, but the system is strong down to 40Hz as it is, and it has meaningful response down to 30Hz. For the most part I check mixes in 2.1 mode with all the processing off. I plan to eventually bring my Paradigm Mini Mk3 speakers home from the studio to replace the front two Titans, then move one of the Titans to center. Then I'll have an all-Paradigm speaker system.

One of the things that makes this setup work so well is that I listen to everything on it. I can sit comfortably on the sofa and use the remote to switch between a mix I'm checking (SPDIF from the computer), CD, FM, DVD etc. Another thing that makes this system work is the size of the room. It's about 13'x14', but one of the 13' walls has a 5' opening to the kitchen/dining area and the other has a stairway going up it (breaking up the wall into two surfaces at different distances). It's not acoustically perfect, and I need some bass traps to even out the LF, but it's pretty darn good.

that's a cool sounding setup you have......
i had an onkyo surround, but it went south on me (lost a left channel front) and it was more expensive to fix than replace!

the original overhead tracks, were tracked with a limiter on them i think (i did not track the drums),
and it made them a bit spitty.....
i leveled them with a limiter on mixdown, just kissing the tops, and did a bit of deessing to try to minimize the spit...

Back