All The Young Dudes and FREEDOM HAS ITS PRICE covers

I thought it was cool. I've heard the song a bunch, but not enough to know if you screwed it up lol. Pretty good :D

I'm not sure which song you were talking about. Since neither of the songs discusses burning down churches, raping nuns with votive candles or digging up corpses for the purposes of necrophilia, I'm not sure which one a guy into death metal would have heard before. But I appreciate the comments! Let me know when your next covers comp is coming out. I actually have a great idea for it... I'll do a version of "She Works Hard For The Money" with modified lyrics and a death metal growl. And here's the kicker... she dies in the end!

minerman said:
Listened to the re-mix, & there's not a lot of difference to me, other than the guitars in the mix dude....I think the 2nd mix is a little better though....

I'd personally like to hear some bottom end on the bass guitar to give the song a little more punch...it's not bad, just a personal preference thing...

The drums still sound just a little dry, but again, that's a personal preference too, I'm a big fan of reverb myself....

Your vocals sound good man, they really suit the song well!!!!

I appreciate it. I don't think I can turn up the bass any more without it really dominating the song, and I still think the remix sounds a little bass-heavy in total (or at least flat-sounding) when I compare it to real music (as in stuff you'd buy in a store). I can understand the personal preference to have bass-heavier rock music, though. "Fair Warning" is my favorite Van Halen album.

Bubba said:
Hi Brighty. Here I am again with a more constructive variety of feedback

All the Young Dudes: Yeah, feedback - I would've liked to hear some on this. You've played so fast and loose with the timing, phrasing and actual CHORDS on this, that some anarchic feedback would've just put the cherry on top! The guitar tones are nice and rich and solid-sounding - I like them a lot. Likewise the backing vocals are sweet, but your indifference to major and minor chord voicings is letting them down a bit.

Freedom Has its Price: I don't know this song but I like the bare bones way you've recorded and mixed this. I was beginning to think, halfway through, that it was a bit lacking in stuff like backing vocals, but it struck me almost immediately after that this would be detrimental to the song. The lyrics are very individualistic and it makes sense to have it as a one-man rant rather than have other voices sticking their oar in. Pretty good, although I liked the guitar tones on Dudes a bit better.

The superficial glad-hander! You should get a t-shirt made. Then cut off the sleeves and play pickup basketball in it.

I actually used a less-dirty tone for FHIP on purpose, since the original sounds like it has an amplified acoustic and an dirty electric (though I might be wrong about the former), and together it sounds... a little unusual. But it was enough to make me think that my regular dirty tone didn't sound quite right, even though I wasn't going for a carbon copy. I like the "don't fuck with me" lyrics. You know how life is... everyone's always fucking with you. I enjoy songs expressing displeasure with being fucked with. I mean, hey, I don't fuck with you! Why you gotta fuck with me? :)

mjb said:
Interesting take on ATYD, agreed with others regarding BG vocals on the choruses, they don't fit the chords which are not the same as the original - which uses a descending bass pattern (hold the original chord).

Yeah, it was quite bastardized. I didn't like the song enough to put a shitload of time into it, but I did try to do it more like the original, originally. I had to make a few executive decisions since I had no organ (no jokes to be made here, please) and can't play minors/7ths/etc.

dog in door said:
The drums of "Freedom" are pretty punchy but I think they are too dry.
Your bass is great.
Guitars could be more powerful or just louder.

I like the drums in "All the Young Dudes" a lot better. Still punchy but not as dry and fit in more with the rest of the song.
I don't know the original. Keep the backing vocals, I like it.

lol@the ending

Your vocals are great in both tunes

I'm assuming you listened to the remix of FHIP if you think the guitars were too low. I tend to agree with you... I'm going to screw with it some more. You never heard the original of "All The Young Dudes?" Didn't they have classic rock radio when you were growing up in Germany's Little Brother, or did they all follow a techno format?

I appreciate the time and comments, guys. Thanks.

I like it. I like 'flawed' music. But my favorite band is Dinosaur Jr, for example. And Lou Reed...etc. These types of bands usually fall more into cult following than the mainstream due to some flaws or whatever.

Love punk, and it was refreshing to hear some. I love you butchered the lyrics. It adds edge. I say do your thing because it makes you unique.

In terms of the mix, it sounded pretty good, but too loud like most limited music. The guitars real amps or sims? Something about their tone bugs me, or it could be they're just too upfront. I know crap about mixing, though.

Last edited:
FHIP (newest mix)

Awesome. You have a GREAT Oi voice.

The mix and recording is way better than the original Templars recording. Guitar tones work for me, vocals sound great, bass sounds great. Solo up a touch, maybe? The drums are a bit muddy/boxy and hold back the overall clarity of the mix, which is otherwise stellar. Although, I think that getting them too pristine would likely make the whole thing sound too polished if there is such a thing, and after two or three listens, I really like how it sounds as it is. Little bit of cymbal phasing happening too. Your vocals are kick ass.

ATYD

Digging the guitar tones here too. Huh. I guess I never thought about the meaning behind the lyrics before, but yeah, "All the young dudes"... should have been obvious I guess, lol. I do think that this has one of the most memorable chorus melodies in rock. Sing along a la "Hey Jude" kind of level of infectiousness. I love all the ad lib stuff you added and I love the way it just sort of disintegrates at the end. Brilliant, IMO. I like your vocals here too. You have a great swagger. You're not quite "selling it" like you are in the other lift, but great job nonetheless.

Instant fan, dude. I like what you do.

I was a guitar player on the road back in the 70s-80's.During that time my band was playing several Mott covers including "All The Young Dudes" and I'm guessing but I've probably performed that song over a thousand times. While I appreciate your efforts ...songs like Dudes, Living on a Prayer, Born to Run etc are anthems and to not put the effort into them is not going to get you where you want to be. Songs are a moment in time captured in words. And if you can't feel the words and relate the feeling in those words and music to others you are wasting your time. Work on music that moves you, music that you feel and not songs that you can just bang out. The opening lead alone, while the guitar has a good tone, the playing sounds mechanical ...no feel. During the performance part of my musical journey I learned early on it doesn't matter if you can technically play a song ....if you can not feel it and "give" that feeling to others ...don't play the song...it's simply not for you. This is not a shot at you or your work, just an old guy trying to pass along a little advise ... you can use it or you can loose it. Good Luck in your musical endeavors.

I'm assuming you listened to the remix of FHIP if you think the guitars were too low. I tend to agree with you... I'm going to screw with it some more. You never heard the original of "All The Young Dudes?" Didn't they have classic rock radio when you were growing up in Germany's Little Brother, or did they all follow a techno format?

I appreciate the time and comments, guys. Thanks.

I actually grew up in Bethesda, MD, so I wouldn't know. :P
It's a long story.

You got your kit and everything up and running again then, yeah?

Back