All Or None (Grunge)

RaiNy

Hey, everyone!

I was recording a demo of mine and I had some problems with the drums and compression on the vocals. Could you please help me with the following issues:

Track: http://soundcloud.com/jehangir-aziz-hayat/all-or-none

1) Compressing Vocals: How can I get a stable compression where the volume of the entire vocal track is equal? I tried using RealComp but the volume still lowers down in some parts.

2) Drums: How can I make them heavier and stand out?

I don't really know anything about reaper. You could however try more than one compressor on your vocal. That may help to even it out.

The Waves SSL Bus Comp works very well on drums. If you can, get it!
The Reaper Comp isn't bad either.

---------- Update ----------

The Waves SSL Bus Comp works very well on drums. If you can, get it!
The Reaper Comp isn't bad either.

I thought the drums sounded "heavy" enough. To me, they don't sound as upfront as they can because the guitars are crowding them out. To me, the mix sounds like everything (drums, guits, vocal) are all trying to be the main attraction. So they step on each other.

If you want the drums to stand out more, you could turn down the guitars.

The vocal level could be improved by a couple of things I think. Use a volume envelope in your DAW. Also give it an EQ boost somewhere between 4500hz and 6000hz.

Oh and I liked the song and performance.

I have had good luck with trying very hard to use good mic technique when tracking vocals. (Close to the mic on soft parts away from the mic on loud parts). Then, automate the vocal when mixing. (Higher fader level on softer parts lower fader level on louder parts).
Do that and THEN compress it.
It will be a very smooth vocal at that point. If you don't at least try to get a pretty level vocal without compression, you will have to slam it too hard to even it out. The harder you slam it the more audible compressor artifacts you will hear (pumping and breathing).
I'm not against slamming a vocal with compression but it sounds better when the vocal is more level. I'm a belter so my vocals are like mountains and valleys so I deal with this all the time.
You have a great sound and voice man, I think you're going to have a killer song there

Thanks, Jimistone! I've always had problems with the vocal artefacts after compression, which sounded worse than the uncompressed version. I'll follow your advice right now. Thanks a lot!

Thanks, Hugo! I'll download it now.

+1 On the SSL Bus Compressor. That thing makes its way into pretty much every drum track I do. The drums could use some reverb. I'm not sure if you are using samples or not but if you are I would try a different drum sample. The guitars and vocals need more high mids as stated above. I like the song though. Reminds me a little bit of Superheaven.

Back