All Land is One Land

Jessica_X

Here is the second version:

https://soundcloud.com/jessicazin/all-land-is-one-land-take-2

It's really not that different. I changed panning and levels, and reduced the kick quite a bit in the chorus. Bunch of other minor changes...

I experimented with taking out different tracks here and there to clear it up some, but decided I liked it better the way it was. Oh well.

Thanks for all the good advice even when I don't take it.

------------------------------

This one is busy. Also, I sold the car I usually listen to my songs in, so the bass and kick may be too loud but I can't tell. Thanks for your help!

https://soundcloud.com/jessicazin/all-land-is-one-land

Last edited:
It's imaginative and unique, like all your stuff. I could do without the effect on the lead vocal. I'd rather here the voice more clearly. On the mix, the midrange is pushy. There's some buildup in the grating frequencies, and the whole thing is very loud. Whatever you've got on your mix bus, you may have too much of.

Thanks Robus. I knew it was louder than my other songs but didn't think I needed to change that before posting. Interesting. Yeah there is a lot going on in the midrange. I will try to adjust.

The vocoder vocal or whatever it is on the left is pretty cool. Both left and right panned stuff is working well giving it a nice spread. The main vocal is a little tough to discern words when the music is playing but ok when it's not as busy. I think the reverb on the vocal is good for the mix, bit whatever effect is modulating (that may not be what you're using but whatever) is taking away the clarity a bit - so if you can back that off somehow that would be my vote. The vocals are good so I would prefer them to be a little clearer. I like the arrangement and the performance is great - sold your car hope you got a good price for it :D:D:D:D

I think it's a cool jam, but you could use a better way to make the music. Maybe some better programs and/or software. It ends up sounding small and it should sound huge and epic.

Unrelated to the mix, that's some impressive wordcraft.

Seconding robus, seems like some cut in the mids would help. I think cutting the left vocal while the lead vocal is up could help give the lead some room. The chorus part in the (bridge?) is really great.

ido1957:
So that's two votes to turn down the scanner vibrato on the main vocal. We sold the car to the next door neighbor which is a little weird. I keep trying to get into it.

FoulPhil: I knew it couldn't be me, I need to buy all new equipment! Sike, I'm pretty sure it's my skills that are lacking, plus this song has about a million tracks. I think it's just so busy. But if you have suggestions I am very interested to hear them. I use all the stock Logic X plug-ins.

Easlern: Thanks. Even when my mixes aren't so hot, I'm usually happy with the how the words turned out. Yeah, maybe I should fade some things in and out to help with the busyness.

...whatever effect is modulating (that may not be what you're using but whatever) is taking away the clarity a bit - so if you can back that off somehow that would be my vote. The vocals are good so I would prefer them to be a little clearer.

this is exactly what I thought. well, it doesn't HAVE to be clean. but the effect itself is somewhat harsh to me. the vowels are resonating too much with it. The lead instruments are great - very creative, using them as harmonies. nice! very cool. main vox my only nitpick

I like the vocals the way they are. It's a song about about being under the sea. I usually hate gimmicks like that, but I think you pulled this one off well. A lot of little details in this song. It takes several listens to go through them all. That's awesome, keep the listener engaged.

The kick drum is about the only part that bothers me. It tends to muddy up the low end. I'm okay with the level if you could reduce the tail on the reverb. I can't tell what you use for drums, but if they are samples you might be able to put a gate on the kick with a short release to cut off the tail. :eek:

I spent a good chunk of my life under the waves, I really enjoyed your lyrics. :)

I think the effect on the lead vocal is cool, but it could be tweaked a bit. It ends up being a little sibilant and muddy, as if the mid highs are cut.

There's a lot going on, so it's hard to parse what is and isn't working right away. The vocal is the big thing that sticks out to work on tho.

Is that a dog bark sample? Is that one of your "things"? I seem to recall you using dog samples in another song.

Chili: Thanks for your thoughts. I will mess with the vocals and not think I'm crazy if I keep them the way they are...I will definitely try reducing the reverb on the kick and some other things as well. That could go a long way towards improving this I suspect. You have spent much your life underwater???

VomitHatSteve: There is no dog bark in this one...maybe that's what's wrong!

As the instruments break going into the bridge the kick does something - changing to a heartbeat, but doesn't work to my ear, sounds like a wire shortcircuiting on an amp.
The vocal effect is ok for me in the verses, but in the chorus the words become hard to understand.
In the chorus there is a low tone that happens at 'deep' that is loud enough to really become noticeable and it sounds like an electronic hum rather than a note.

I would agree with the others that this is a little busy and you coudl probably cut out a few of the backing tracks and get rid of some muddiness. Interesting song, though!

Very creative. Some of the synths remind me of the game castlevania - like Nintendo haunted house music. Lots of cool contrasts with the different sounds you chose. Cool melody.

Mix wise, I thought generally the lows and low mids were a little too much maybe? I'm thinking some cuts across the board in those regions might brighten it up or open it up a bit...

The kick seemed too boomy and/or reverberated.

I like the vocal effects a lot, particularly in the chorus. Keep in mind, I'm someone who generally isn't so interested in the lyrics themselves, but listens to vocals more as another instrument in the mix...to that end, the effects are very cool, but if you want to be clearly understood, I think you need to back off the effects at least somewhat.

Cool sounding.

Synths/piano sounded. Cool techno bass sound.

The mix is a little louder on the right side. I think it's both the volume of the synth on that side, and the part it's playing. It's playing more constantly than the part of the left.

The lead vocal is missing its high end. Backing vox seem ok. I think it's the effects you have on the lead.

I was never a fan of techno drums. But the drums here supported the mix OK.

mjbphotos: Thanks for the input. Yeah the heartbeat thing I like in theory, but there is something about it that doesn't sound good.

heatmiser: "Nintendo haunted house music" sounds like a fantastic genre. I will work on the kick. I think I can't hear what other people are hearing. I miss my old car sound system.

vomithatsteve: That is supposed to be a static burst, like from an SOS call. Perhaps I've failed...

Triple M: Thanks. I thought I might need to make some changes with the panning. I like the effect on the lead vox but I guess if it's taking away the high end I should rethink that. I don't really care if it's unintelligible as long as it sounds good, but I will make some changes and decide.

Hopefully this weekend I can have time to work on this and repost something.

It's really not that different. I changed panning and levels, and reduced the kick quite a bit in the chorus. Bunch of other minor changes...

I experimented with taking out different tracks here and there to clear it up some, but decided I liked it better the way it was. Oh well.

Very cool. Please post lyrics as the vocals aren't quite clear enough to discern all words.
I love the morse code bleeps over on the edge.
Found the lyrics - clever stuff - in a good way of course.

Chorus vocal is now easier to understand, still have that one pesky bass pad note at 'deep' in the choruses. Change of the heartbeat part is better.

Back