All analog recording

I thought this pretty good. Good singing. Vocals nice and out front. Guitars sound good. Tight playing.

A bit too much reverb for my tastes.

I didn't care for the kick sound or level. It's covering the bass and it's a bit boing-y. I'd add some low midrange to it (just a bit) and pull down its level. You could probably also nudge up the bass.

But all in all it's a very nice sounding mix.
Thanks much. Yeah the kick issue keeps on coming up. Probably a valid point. Well, you guys are my extra ears. :D

The reverb? I guess it's a matter of taste, huh?

Thanks for the guitar comments. Believe it or not, all the guitars were tracked with a fender champ. Even the feedback. I just cranked up the speakers in the control room with the champ in the live room. Played off the mains, and bingo! Feedback.

Right now I'm working with the singer on some more tunes. Always liked his vocals.
:thumbs up:

Not bad at all, but I would add just some common room ambience. Without it sounds little bit sterile and separated.

This is freaking awesome. It sounds very good. Very good. The song is great and everything sounds perfect to me.

I dont care for the kick drum, it sounds like a rock kick drum to me. I like it like that. I'm really jealous of you...I wish I could learn how to record analog and mix too.

Anyway, I hope you do more recordings like this...make a goddamn album like this.

Lastly, it sounds like "Broken Toy Soldiers" from The Racounteurs, which is one of my favorite albums of all time.

Congrats on this.

Thanks so much.

I checked out that band. Listened to a whole album. Pretty cool. They do some interesting stuff with good vocal work.

Doesn't remind me in any way of my own stuff, but I like em. :)

As far as a record, that's what I'm working on. All analog recordings transfered and mixed hybrid style.

Hah! You wish you could learn analog recording? I wish I could learn digital. I think the analog is much easier.

:D

I'd like the kick, snare & bass all at the same level.
A classic rock feel and a bit of Free/Alright Now momentum.
EQ the kick a little more.
Nice stuff.

Thanks for the listen and input, Ray. :D

I know it's not perfect, but reminiscent of Free? Not a bad neighborhood to be in.

Thanks!
:D

You know what I just noticed on this? And at the same time, I sot of learned/discovered something.

I was listening at really low volume while the TV was on at more or less the same volume. So, all I could really hear in the song were the loudest parts. Besides the lead vocal, I could hear the quick click of the transient of the snare before the compressor kicked in. Try it. Play this, turn it down, and see what you hear. Or hear what you hear. Whatever.

So, I think what I'm trying to say is that you might have too much compression on the snare. Or the attack is too long. Or both. Or neither. It might be the master compressor. I might have my head up my ass as I type this.

Dude! You're supposed to listen to it cranked up!

But seriously, ill experiment with seeing what it does when real quiet. The odd thing is, there is NO compression on the snare whatsoever.

:D.

Dude! You're supposed to listen to it cranked up!

But seriously, ill experiment with seeing what it does when real quiet. The odd thing is, there is NO compression on the snare whatsoever.

:D.
Well, then it's either the master buss compression or that other option I gave you. The last one.

When i get back home, ill see what monkey business I may have done when I digitized it. :D

When i get back home, ill see what monkey business I may have done when I digitized it. :D

It might be nothing. But, at the very least, I discovered that listening low....I mean REALLY low, I heard things in a much different way. Whether hearing anything that way is actually useful? I really don't know.

Back