"All Along the Watchtower" cover

The guys got a very good voice and sounds really good on this. Was it all done in one take and recorded voice and guitar at same time? Timing is very loose which actually sounds good to me on this because it fits with the free style of playing.

As far as the mix, it don't sound bad at all. Personally I would add a little more presence to the vocals just to separate it from the guitar and give it more intimacy.

great job.

Last edited:
His guitar performances are a bit hit and miss throughout, I'm aware. We don't need to mention it.
Just the mix, please!

Thanks for listening :)

For this kind of performance, I think it's great. Certainly better than Dylan. :)

It's cool performance wise, but the guitar doesn't sound great or anything. It sort of sounds like bad playing or a really crappy guitar. The vocals started a little poorly, but he kicked them up and it ended up being pretty good.

It's cool performance wise, but the guitar doesn't sound great or anything. It sort of sounds like bad playing or a really crappy guitar. The vocals started a little poorly, but he kicked them up and it ended up being pretty good.

I think that this is a the assessment that I agree with most.
We did a total of four songs, so I'll post the other three in their own thread. He kind of held back a bit before each song's first chorus and then his voice really came out afterwards.
The guitar is a cheapo he bought off somebody used and there are definitely a few bum notes inbetween. One of the other songs got it really rough.
I believe he was going for a bit of a busker vibe, since that's what he's spent a lot of time doing.

Thanks for pitching in, people.

Yeah, the guitar doesn't sound too great, there's fret-playing buzz (sounds thumb-strummed) and there's no high end to it. For my taste there's too much reverb on the vocal/not enough on the guitar so they sound in different spots. The vocal could use some more volume automation.

I enjoyed the listen, flaws and alls.

I think there are two goals for capturing an acoustic. The first is when it is solo like this and the second is when it will sit in a mix.

For something like this, where the guitar is is nekkid, it takes a lot of time, experimenting and patience to get a good tone. New strings go along way for starters. Then mic patterns, then mic placement. Once you get all that done, don't be afriad to EQ like crazy. Mics hear something different than ears. Keep on experimenting and trying to work it out. To me, it's one of those holy grail things.

I also agree with MJB about the use of reverb. Keep the vox and guit in the same space.

I have never posted any solo guitar/vocal stuff like this song because I have never been happy with my guitar tone.

Individually the tracks each have a good tone/vibe. The vocals are great after the first few lines but that fret buzz is just ....
When the vocal soars and sort of reduces the reverb effect it blends well with the guitar.

Back