Submitted for your opinions...

I have a couple questions on these tunes-

-------------------------------

1) Feeling Low

2) Shadow of a Dead Rose

3) Real Life

4) Donkeys and Elephants

------------------------

First question: I think these are pretty much complete -- Do you agree? If not, which and where is further work needed?

Second question: If they were to appear in sequence on a CD, what order would you place them in (as per the numbers above)?

That's it!!

Thanks!!

K-

Complete is very subjective, all personal taste. Though by no means my type of music it does sound good. What was your recording stage like.

Order...

"Complete" IS TOTALLY subjective...and I appreciate that viewpoint. Being your "type" of music is JUST as subjective, and aside from that, I fully respect and appreciate the fact that you thought it sounded good.

Thank you also for adding you thoughts on the order of tunes. It's quite interesting the replies I've received from folks regarding it. I'm about to start to ask "Why?" because I've yet to come up w/ a consistent vote...and I think it curious...the divergence of opinion.

I would like to completely answer your question regarding the recording chain, but the question is broad. It there a specific part you're interested in? Or...could you be a little more directed in what you'd like to know?

Best (and thanks!)

Kev.

Great Job

First off let me say - I think the songs are great. The songwriting style is the type I always admire but I can never emulate. It's original! Bravo to you for pulling it off without sounding contrived. I like it alot it vaguely reminds me of the Niagaras but with a tighter sound (maybe sometimes Steely Dan?). This is music I would definitely want in my collection.
I like the song order you currently have it flows nice and the only alternate I would suggest would be swapping 1 and 4.
The strongest song is "Shadow"

Enough compliments! ;)
Although I think the general mix levels are good -- sometimes there seems to be a little bit too much separation... if that makes sense.
And I was sometimes wishing for a different effect on the vocals.
Also - Band name is a little deceiving....I was expecting to hear..well..Jazz!
AGAIN - just observations...I think what you have is excellent and the musicianship, songwriting, and sound quality are all exceptional.

Curious to know what your gear\setup is and who your influences are.

Great job!

Funny that you hit my strongest influence in your comments. I rate Steely Dan in my top two. The other is the Beatles. This is also closely followed by Elton John and Billy Joel and others too numerous to mention. I know it shows, but I can't help it. When I write, I just write...and what comes to me is through the filter of my likes ...

My gear is rather simple. I MOSTLY record the acoustic requirements through an AT4050 and Blue Dragonfly...but occasionally an SM57, a CAD E250 and a Blue Baby Bottle will be inserted.

As of this point, I only have two of the same model preamps...so that I have the facility to record in stereo. Both are Wunder Audio PEQ-1 rack units. They are excellent preamps. This is where I have invested most of my $$$...I believe that great pres can make even mediocre mics sound MUCH better.

My bass is mostly soft synths and I'm the player. Shadow is a Roland JV1010. Real Life and Donkeys are Spectasonics Trilogy. Feeling Low is a soundfont through LiveSynth Pro.

I record to Sonar 4 Producer edition. I use primarily the plugs included w/ Cakewalk as well as Sony (Sound Forge) and Voxengo Plugs. I do use a PSP Vintage Warmer on a couple tunes strapped across the stereo buss. FYI -- that plug is a "must have" for most home recordists. It works.

My guitars are through a PODxt. I don't care what folks say about it; like anything, there are tones that are great, and ones that suck. Again, if it's good enough for Jeff Beck and other guitar legends, who am I to argue??? It also works. I do most of my own guitar work, but leave the leads to a good friend, Mark Crumb. I suck big time w/ lead work.

Drums on the three tunes here are live...delivered via the net. I did not record them and take no credit for it. Frank Basile is the drummer. He's superb.

I do all the keyboards and all the vocals...the keys go in direct and the vocals go through the 4050.

Everything gets into Sonar through an Echo Layla24.

My former setup used to take up a full room. My current setup could fit in a 4 ft x 4 ft space...and still sound better. Such is the miracle of the age we live in.

Thanks for commenting! I hope my ramblings lent some insight.

Kev.

BTW- The "Band" name is vestiges of my past. It was the name of my old group...now defunct. I use it because it always struck me as funny...and just a little offbeat...because even back then, we did no jazz. Some of the above tunes (Feeling Low/Donkeys) were performed live w/ that unit...so I guess I'm just still giving a little nod to the past. Sorry if you were disappointed there wasn't really any jazz...but that was kind of the point. :D

Thanks

Thanks for all the info....I definitely will look into those Wunder Audio PEQ-1 rack units pres. I have a layla 24 (and cakewalk 9) as well and I usually use the pres in my mackie 1604vlz and ocassionally borrow my friends RNC which sounds great. But a new pre is my next purchase.

I was not dissapointed to not hear jazz (did that make sense?)...and I can now understand the tongue and cheek in the name!

Big fan of all of the mentioned musicians and bands especially Steely and the Beatles. Like I said, you pull off the style very well and that's something a lot of people can't do.

Good job

My old stomping grounds-- I grew up in Simsbury. Some of my best friends lived in Farmington, so I spent a LOT of time over in Plainville.

Cool.

Kev.

Route 10

I work in Simsbury off of Route 10 near the Simsbury Inn. My friend and the other guitarist I work with is from Farmington\Unionville (born and raised) Small friggin' world. I've been trying to get a little Every other Saturday night music club going at my house - It's tough getting some core guys togther..My buddy who is the bass player is always doubling as the drummer...then at the end of rehearsal he dubs his bass parts..it's just a experimental recording project, but it's fun. If you're ever in the area and are interested in making some noise let me know.

Route 10

I work in Simsbury off of Route 10 near the Simsbury Inn. My friend and the other guitarist I work with is from Farmington\Unionville (born and raised) Small friggin' world.
I've been trying to get a little Every other Saturday night music club going at my house - It's tough getting more than the core guys togther..My buddy who is the bass player is always doubling as the drummer...then at the end of rehearsal he dubs his bass parts..it's just a experimental recording project, but it's fun. If you're ever in the area and are interested in making some noise let me know.

Back