Again

Sad to see a song with 0 comments about to fall of the page...And this is excellent so i'm glad i listened-is this you singing? if so that is some excellent singing, big time-i like the sounds all around-the piano sounds great, bass? not sure if it's keyboard bass but sounds tight-drums sound good. Seems like it could use another element like an acoustic guitar or a horn or some percussion to humanize it a bit. But i really like the chord progression and singing, too bad it's a cover. Good mix-no complaints.

Sad to see a song with 0 comments about to fall of the page...And this is excellent so i'm glad i listened-is this you singing? if so that is some excellent singing, big time-i like the sounds all around-the piano sounds great, bass? not sure if it's keyboard bass but sounds tight-drums sound good. Seems like it could use another element like an acoustic guitar or a horn or some percussion to humanize it a bit. But i really like the chord progression and singing, too bad it's a cover. Good mix-no complaints.

Cant Take credit for anything but the mix .Song was recorded at Sunset studio by the artist. I got the multi tracks and did the mix. The Bass is indeed a bass, maybe the way I treated it didn't do it justice, have to go back and take another crack at it. Agree; it is a very good song and the vocal is outstanding . Thanks for the feed back.
Cellar Rat

In general I thought this was a pretty good mix. I liked the sound of the vocal.

The piano was missing some high end and low end. The low end wasn't a big deal, but I could notice a lack of high end immediately.

Later on in the song, the drums got busier. They started to conflict with the vocal during that section.

Songwise, the chord progression got a bit repetitive.

Seems like it could use another element like an acoustic guitar or a horn or some percussion to humanize it a bit.

Same. There are a few sections that don't seem well thought out, and the music gets repetitive. A lead instrument would help there.

Mix-wise, it isn't working after the 3:00 mark, and gets progressively worse, most notably at 3:31. The piano is absolutely burying the vocal. It's drowning it out and surrounding it. Assuming levels are fine throughout the first few minutes, you need to look at automating the piano volume. As new elements are added, you aren't compensating for the volume buildup the instruments bring, and the vocal is suffering from it. Instead of raising the vocal volume, which could introduce new problems, I'd consider turning down the piano as new elements are introduced near the end. 3:39 is a good example of a piano that is much too loud relative to the rest of the mix.

The sounds themselves seem good to me.

Tried to listen, but it looks like the track has to be downloaded and not streamed. I'll check back later in case you add a link for streaming

I don't have anything to add as far as mix critique. I just wanted to say I listened and really dig you vocals man!
Great singing for sure.

Last edited:
I thought it was okay. Piano sounds like a VST because it's lacking any highs, unless you EQd it that way. The vocal is strong. Agree with the person who said the chord progression gets repetitive. It almost sounds cut and paste how they play it exactly the same each time with the same dynamics (too much compression or is it cut and pasted?).

Back