Adele Cover Song

RawDepth

I recorded this live in the venue. I was pissed when I got home and discovered that the vocals were badly distorted. It sounded like sizzling bacon layered on top of the vocal track, but I couldn't figure out why. My input levels had all been carefully set at around -18dBFS. Since I was forced to use the house PA mics, I decided to call the venue sound guy to discuss what might have gone wrong. He said that he had noticed that too in other shows and suspected that his 5 year old vocal mic might have a worn out diaphragm.

I tried to clean up the tracks the best I could with notch filters, but alas, you can't very well clean distortion. Oh well, the show is now water under the bridge.

What do you think?

I recorded this live in the venue. I was pissed when I got home and discovered that the vocals were badly distorted. It sounded like sizzling bacon layered on top of the vocal track, but I couldn't figure out why. My input levels had all been carefully set at around -18dBFS. Since I was forced to use the house PA mics, I decided to call the venue sound guy to discuss what might have gone wrong. He said that he had noticed that too in other shows and suspected that his 5 year old vocal mic might have a worn out diaphragm.

I tried to clean up the tracks the best I could with notch filters, but alas, you can't very well clean distortion. Oh well, the show is now water under the bridge.

What do you think?
I don't think that the vocal distortion is as bad as you might think it is or be hearing it. My ears are pretty well worn, but all I'm hearing is that the vocal is simply too loud compared to the rest of the mix. She has a great voice!

I don't think that the vocal distortion is as bad as you might think it is or be hearing it. My ears are pretty well worn, but all I'm hearing is that the vocal is simply too loud compared to the rest of the mix. She has a great voice!

You really think so? I thought I had it at a comfortable level. (My monitors must be more forgiving than yours.)

Does anyone else think the vocal is too loud?

For what its worth I listened thru headphones and it sounds like a live recording with no huge level problems.

Is it perfect? NO

Is it terrible? NO

Back