Acoustic Tune (John Gorka cover)

gordone

Hello,
http://home.earthlink.net/~egordon99/mp3/
Here's a cover of a John Gorka song that I did. The main vocals/guitar were tracked with a Soundelux U97 on the vocals and a Neumann KM184 on the guitar (Martin D16H). The 2nd guitar (1956 Martin 00-18) was recorded in stereo with the U97 and the KM184. A Great River MP2 was used for all microphones. The piano was a General Music Pro 1 electric piano. Sounds were captured into the PC by a M-Audio Delta 44, set at 44.1khz, 24 bit. N-Track was used for recording and mixdown. Waves plug-ins were used (Trueverb, RennVerb, C1 Comp on the piano, RenComp on the main vocals and guitar, and some Q3 eq, L1 used on the master bus and to dither down to 16-bit)
All comments appreciated!

Gordone

your equipment makes for some great guitar tones.
You can really tell the difference between your setup
and someone's like mine.

you're lucky to have such fine gear
Enjoy man

Thanks for listening! Are you a Gorka fan? My wife and I are actually seeing him tommorow evening if the weather is nice.

I agree that the sounds are nice. I really like the acoustic lead.

As I'm not familiar with the artist's work, I don't know if it's intentional or not, but the whole thing seems to have timing problems. I mean, I know it's not a disco song, lol...but did you play to any kind of a metronome?

I hear some pitch problems on the vocal too, but again, you may be copying a style.

Anyway, nice freaking acoustic sounds. Have fun if the weather's nice. :D

Chris,
Thanks for the constructive comments. They are appreciated. I've always had timing problems. I never really played in any bands/groups. I am working on getting a click track set up on my system so that should help. The pitch problems are NOT John Gorka! I'm not the greatest singer, I just try to get the message of the song across rather than attempt to be Celine Dion. This is just a fun hobby, although I do quite a bit of work in the local synangogues (church music, Jewish style!) leading Shabbat services and teaching music in the school for the little ones.
Again, thanks for listening!

PS - Glad you like the 2nd guitar. That guitar was owned by my late great uncle. He lived alone and didn't have a will. When he died back in 1996, they went through his stuff in the apartment and one relative (my dad's brother) was about to grab the guitar (he plays piano and a bit of guitar) but my Grandma (the dead uncle's sister) insisted they give it to me. I came home from college that semester and my dad told me I had a "new" Martin at home. Low and behold was the 00-18 sitting on my bed. This is the most special guitar in my collection.

Nice acoustic tones. Nice way to fill up zee zound stage w/gtr overdubs... very young voice... 18? 19 yrs old maybe? Nice talent. Pno sounds good (sorry... using mp3mkr's word ;))

Nice reverb; & that's what stands out about this recording... the sound of your room. You're on a stool under a spotlight, alone... (if only you could play all three parts at the same time eh? :))

Singing seems a bit forced at times (esp the vibrato), but that's something we all work on.

Nice cover.

Chad

Chad,
Thanks for listening! The voice (mine!) is actually 26 years old. I know I still have alot of room for improvement on my vocals. Glad you liked the reverb on the vocals, I was worried I put too much reverb on that track. I actually was on a stool :) , but alas, no spotlight for me!

I could do with a little less verb on this - it sounds a little muddier than it needs to I think. Especially the guitar - but that's just my preference.

And yeah, the timing's a little odd. It's not really off enough to be free time - sounds like you're trying to keep on a beat but it's kinda shaky.

I like the singing and the playing. COuld just use a little cleaning up.

I want your gear!

Chris

Back