acoustic song - rough mix

Nice tune. From what I hear out of this, maybe drop the volume of the drums a little. They sound really good, but the guitar is quiet, and they also hide some of the vocals. Just sounds like a small mixing item. That would be my only criticism. I'd like to hear the vocals a bit more, but I don't think they need to be louder. Just quiet the drums a little. Cool song. What is your chain for vocals, and what do you do to process them? Sound pretty good.
Ed

Nice tune Gary. Nice tight rhythm between the ac gtrs and vocals. I like the level of the kick but the rest of the drumset is too hot in the mix IMO.

I like the verb on the background vocals.

Tim

Timothy Lawler said:
I like the level of the kick but the rest of the drumset is too hot in the mix IMO.

I was going to say the exact same thing. Well, maybe it's more the snare..you might try dropping the snare and killing any reverb you've got on it...it'll be more "apparently" loud without walking over the vocal. Or maybe just cut some of the 1-3K stuff in the snare.

Personally, I like reverb...but I think this is more of an intimate song and might benefit from a dryer vibe all the way around.

Couple of the drum fills sound awkward. The really fast hits before the choruses in particular.

hey thanks alot for the comments . I agree with the drum stuff its the part i was still playing with as i was posting this so i thought itd get a few mentions. That and i need a second guitar I think, the only one in there now is direct. I feel like im cheating just having a direct guitar going.

Dogman vocal wise its an At4040 right into the soundcard. Mics about 3-4 feet away as im overly loud it seems. After that its alot of plug-ins. I use about 3 dessers and use the freq sweep thing to find what i don't like/what hurts. Alot of eq to take out some low end, small delay(cakewalk fxdelay), cakewalk fxreverb and a chorus. I usually play with the vocals the longest, often to the point of ruining them unfortunately.

thanks again for the comments its a huge help. Ill repost that mp3 in a few to fix those drums.

updated mp3.. tryed fixing some of the drum issues..

thanks again tom, dogman and chris.. really appreciate the advice

take care
gary

You might still bring the vocals up a bit, if you can retain that intimate sound in doing that. Great sounding tune. The strained vocals are extremely cool. And the way the background ones sound so distant is a very nice touch. Maybe drop the whole drum track down a db or 2, and then raise the whole mix that much to make it full? Just a thought. Great tune though. I really dig this one.
Ed

Hey Ed i put a second version on that site "mix 2".. is that closer to what you're talking about? The drums could still probably come down.. and i think i sub conciously don't allow myself to mix the vocals way up front haha.. I can't say ive struggled this much with a song since i was first starting out, so i am incredibly grateful for the feedback

Monkey Allen - Thanks alot, the vocals are all done with an at4040. The guitar is direct but ill probably add one with a pair of studio projects c4's later on, i have alot of luck with those. The soundcard is an Aardvark q10. Thanks again for the listen

take care

gary

I just grabbed the latest one. Now th eguitar is sitting really well with the drums. Drums don't seem to be stepping on anything now. They are nice and tame. Vocals sit better. I like them this way, but it wouldn't hurt teh song if you brought them up a bit. But leaving them down just a little really gives the song a sort of down vibe. Somewhat subdued. I think it's cool. And the backing vocals really add to the "different" feel. Almost haunting. I think this is a great mix. It doesn't have a pop, or commercial feel. It is slightly dark, but not a down type of tune. Personally, I think you nailed it. Drums are heard, but not overbearing. Vocals are cool.
Nice tune, man. Really nice.
Ed

good tune.. when it first started I wasn't sure but once the 40 second mark hit I really got into it.. that's a sweet chorus.. listening to both mixes and I'm not totally sure which one I like better yet.. some cool vocal moments on this.. I'll eventually make some more comments.. good tune..

Sounds like some Neil Young when it starts out. Good mix. I would pull the lead vox up a touch just IMHO. Maybe back off the reverb, not sure whether it needs more volume or just needs to be more up front. Other than that the mix is great. I also really like the background vocal reverb. Good one.....

dogman/ed - thanks again, really appreciate the comments i think it sits better as well. I agree the vocals could still use a little more work ill have to put some more time into that.

bsabbath thanks alot.. i actually thought about trying to find ways to make the begining/verses a bit more interesting. Thanks for listening, really apreciate the comments.

etnoziroh - im glad you liked it, thanks alot for listening

Idol - thanks alot for the listen. Again i agree with the vocal thing, have to remix those a bit.

CyanJaguar - Thanks alot, too airy may be what im looking to fix, i like the suggestion. Thanks for the listen.

Take care
gary

Great song!
I was curious to see how your voice would sound in an acoustic song and I really like it. I dig the backup vocals too.
If anything the vocals alone in the verses may sound a bit too low or something.
Nice instrumentation... that acoustic sounds great. Very nice rhythm with the drums/bass.
Killer chorus. Good outro too.

Nice work man, enjoyed it :D

Back