Acoustic singer/songwriter style mix. Reminder, Mumford and sons

Hey guys,
I just recently got back into recording my own music. currently acoustic stuff but moving up to heavier projects in the future, tell me what you think of my newest mix.

and if you get a chance check out my channel Dubicki Productions
I'm really looking for some feedback, especially before i get into some of the larger projects I have planned

Please be brutally honest. Ilm really looking for some usable feedback.

Way too much reverb on the vocal (for my taste). The acoustic doesn't have any crisp highs, but maybe you're going for the muted sound? For a single guitar & vocal track I would record them separately, using 2 mics on the guitar to be able to give some stereo depth to it (there are many different 2 mic guitar techniques).

it sounds very distorted to me. the whole thing. i have a hard time hearing the vocal clearly because it's crackling slightly when you sing louder. is this limited or compressed hard? the tail on the verb isn't the best, and it's rather long, to me.

on the plus side, great vocal and playing. i like the vocal tone a lot. def something good under the mix.

I can mostly just echo what the two others said.

Watch your recording levels. You're clipping in the louder spots.

There is a huge reverb on the vocal, but none (or almost none) on the guitar.

The acoustic guitar is missing a lot of high end. And it has a lot of content in the 1Khz range. That gives it a very boxy sound.

I'll also echo the plus side. You have a very distinctive voice. It sounded nice. Performances were all very good.

When i mixed this song i was kind of going for a more low end tape sound, there is a tape machine on every track.
As far as the distortion goes I'm using the soft tube saturation knob on the vocal, Chris already has a really raspy voice and I really liked the way it sounded when i had it break up just a little bit.
form the sounds of it I overdid it a little bit. to my ears i really liked it but I guess thats mixing. I'll tone it down a little next time I do a song with chris

he has an interesting voice, you did over-do it with the saturation though and it's not really like tape, more like distortion that's not needed, tape saturation is quite a different sound to this, I'd recommend trying out UHE Satin if you can get it on trial, great sounding tape saturation plug-in.

Back