Acoustic singer-songwriter piece ...

K-dub

Practicing my acoustic solo recording chops. Recorded stripped of most production adornments (minor limiting -- eq -- subtle reverb). As the tape rolled ... one pass each.

1 AT4050 on the git ...

1 K58 Karma on the vocal

Hey K. The vocal is way too loud. You need to roll it back but also compress/fade it (or back off the mic in the future) when you're yelling.
It's a bummer because it sounds like it would be pretty cool with better levels.

I can fix it. It is a very dynamic performance, and I wanted to give it lighter treatment. Accordingly, there are spots where it's too loud, and other spots where (like the end) it gets a little more buried. Good catch.

I'll throw a different plug on it that will ride the vocal a little harder, and even out the performance.

Thanks N!!

I agree that the vocal is really dominating the guitar. Some pitchiness too.

The guitar has some low end rumble. It isn't as noticeable when the vocal is present. But I think it would be if you balanced the vocal with the guitar better. Guitar is also missing some higher end too. Maybe the mic was too close to the sound hole?

I agree that the vocal is really dominating the guitar. Some pitchiness too.

The guitar has some low end rumble. It isn't as noticeable when the vocal is present. But I think it would be if you balanced the vocal with the guitar better. Guitar is also missing some higher end too. Maybe the mic was too close to the sound hole?

More eq hyping the low end. I'm basically playing this on the bottom two strings ... so I went for accentuation of the bass. I may have overdone it. I'll attend.

I delivered the vocal in more of a folk style ... which allows for some atonal vocalizations -- along the lines of what Dylan or Petty might do. I left it, accordingly, fairly raw and untouched. Is the pitchy wince worthy? I didn't think so, but I'm obviously too close to it.

Thanks bud!

Like single, or double (1st & 5ths or 1st & octaves), notes being strummed with open strings rumbling.

Good catch, S -- that's the essential simplicity of the piece. I think I can tame it with judicious EQ. We'll see. :D

I'm going to try cloud storage to be able to work on the mix. I'm traveling for T-day today ... but have Sonar both on my studio rig, and my laptop.

Thanks for the comment!

More eq hyping the low end. I'm basically playing this on the bottom two strings ... so I went for accentuation of the bass. I may have overdone it. I'll attend.

I delivered the vocal in more of a folk style ... which allows for some atonal vocalizations -- along the lines of what Dylan or Petty might do. I left it, accordingly, fairly raw and untouched. Is the pitchy wince worthy? I didn't think so, but I'm obviously too close to it.

Thanks bud!

The vocal is pretty pitchy. I wouldn't try too hard to make it sit better in the mix. I would resing the song.
It is a good song k-dub...put a good vocal on it.

Good catch, S -- that's the essential simplicity of the piece. I think I can tame it with judicious EQ. We'll see. :D

I'm going to try cloud storage to be able to work on the mix. I'm traveling for T-day today ... but have Sonar both on my studio rig, and my laptop.

Thanks for the comment!

You're welcome.

I'm working on that very problem myself. I've taken to modifying my fingering to mute the offending strings, as well as not strumming some - sounds much cleaner.

The verse is fairly wordy lacking in hooks. Given that, your chorus really needs to shine. At this point, it isn't catchy or memorable enough. It sounds like a continuation of the verse. It might be worth developing that chorus further, with a stronger melody and a hookier hook.

To the days when we were young, I was that guy who thought that I could do anything if I only tried but after time passed I found out that I could do things that that I can't do now... - - PAUSE...

[ADD] oh, the days when we were young to complete the verse.

I would cut or rework the rest of the song to match the first section through this phrase.

Your hook is "..when we were young", or (should) directly follow the above line, which has a sweet melody leading right into it.

Your song reminded me of Hold On Loosely by 38 Special.

They don't waste any time getting right to the hook. The beginning is tight and to the point - not stretched out. Then they just start it over again - no wasted space.

YouTube

Last edited:
Back