Acoustic instruments all recorded with Sennheiser 421

I recorded this yesterday, and I’m fairly pleased with the capture. You guys can rip it up, if you want to, though :)

McKinley (Instrumental)

I will go back in and add some tasteful background and fills at some point, just so it doesn't sound like a sonic cut out collage.

Recorded one at a time:
1927 Gibson TB 3 banjo all original pot with the factory calfskin head and New five string neck (originally a tenor banjo)
1897 model Washburn parlor guitar (Made between 1900 and 1935)
1914 Gibson A4 Mandolin
1960 Dobro resonator guitar
Fairly new Blueridge br-60t tenor guitar (Two rhythm tracks panned hard left and hard right)
Chinese manufactured Carlo Robelli 3/4 bass fiddle

All recorded into a Sennheiser 421 dynamic mic and a discontinued sound devices usb preamp interfaced with 2nd party 64bit windows drivers on a Dell Inspiron laptop in Reaper DAW. No effects at all in the DAW...just set levels and pan on everything. Chopped off the peaks, added reverb and normalized in Goldwave

Sounds good to me. 421 is a nice mic from everything I've read. Somewhere on my list ;)

I actually think a dynamic mic often works better for acoustic guitar in this style of music, but, really, a good mic is a good mic. Differences are subtle and usually at the edges/limits IME. Some just make your life easier, too.

I agree. Sounds pretty damn good. Personally I would go with an ambient mic in the room with the banjo as well just to give it some life but shit dood. That was really cool! :)

I thought the banjo sounded excellent.

The acoustic guitar backbeat accents sounded OK. A bit muffled and *really* wide. I'd pull them a bit.

Mando also sounded excellent.

I'd pull just a little low end from the bass. It's a bit indistinct.

The lead acoustic on the right, again, sounded excellent.

The shortcomings with the rhythm section (bass and tenor guitar) have a lot to do with my playing, the room...and to a lesser degree the instruments themselves. I used to put bass on my recordings with “Trilogy”, but decided to just get a bass and start playing it. There are losses and gains for me going that route.

Back