An acoustic instrumental

Tom Paul

This was kind of inspired by Yes...although a friend said it reminded him of Joni Mitchell meets Styx...a strange marriage that would be.

Both the main acoustic, a J-45, and the leads, a 000-18, were miced with a Beyer M-160 ribbon mic. Someone on RAP (remembet usenet?) recommended that I try that years ago and I finally did. It seems like the highs of an acoustic can get away from me with my KM-184's. This tames the highs and has a great woody sound on the 000-18.

The Synth and drums are samples. It's a pretty clean mix with a Vallhalla reverb patch and some waves delays.

Guitars sound real nice a little squeaky, but the drums or what ever it is aren't loud enough. There isn't any point in having them in there if you can barley hear them, I think lol. Cool tune bro, just need some vocals now :D

Really good guitar sound. I can hear the YES influence for sure....not a bad thing at all. Really cool.

Guitars sound real nice a little squeaky :D

I tried using Elixer coated strings and rubbing my fingers on the side if my nose (gets them a little oily) but the it's hard to reduce the squeak because I slide my fingers down the neck in the Verse part. I am going to try editing the individual tracks and reduce the volume of the squeak peaks. I have found muting them entirely sounds weird. I'm going to play with the drum part too...it's simple Midi sample stuff under some real shakers. Thanks!

Nice job recording those acoustics. I find acoustic guitar to be the hardest instrument of the ones that I record, well apart from vocals (where the problem is my voice...). The opening reminded me of Crosby, Stills and Nash. I wouldn't worry too much about the squeaks--there's probably some narrow EQ cut that could help, if you can figure out the frequency where they live.

I tried using Elixer coated strings and rubbing my fingers on the side if my nose (gets them a little oily) but the it's hard to reduce the squeak because I slide my fingers down the neck in the Verse part. I am going to try editing the individual tracks and reduce the volume of the squeak peaks. I have found muting them entirely sounds weird. I'm going to play with the drum part too...it's simple Midi sample stuff under some real shakers. Thanks!

Well don't worry about it too much. A lot of it can be toned down just by changing up the way you play some things. I've tried avoiding sliding and learned to find chords in different spots on the neck to keep from having to slide around too much. I HATE hearing too much squeaking in my playing, but all that said sometimes those squeaks can add to music as well. Don't want it to sound fake either :D

I think it sounds great. A little more lowend wouldn't hurt I think but it isn't necessary. I especially like the bridge- something about those guitars, they really complement each other so well.

Back