Acoustic Cover

Andy - when I click on the song Kait Clavette The Way, I get "Stream Failed" on the player..... The other song played right away and sounds pretty good though so that was cool....

Can you check and let us know.....thanks!

ido

I don't know the original, but this sounds pretty good. Guitar is pretty clean...so are vocals. Sounds like an intimate club, or coffee house. Vocals seem to drop out at times...meaning down a couple db. The guitar gets loud sometimes also...maybe compress the whole mix just a little, to hold it together better.

Well done though man.

Dogman said:
I don't know the original, but this sounds pretty good. Guitar is pretty clean...so are vocals. Sounds like an intimate club, or coffee house. Vocals seem to drop out at times...meaning down a couple db. The guitar gets loud sometimes also...maybe compress the whole mix just a little, to hold it together better.

Well done though man.

Thanks man. I didn't have a compressor to use at the time (my rack is all disconnected right now) and I have NO plug ins for compressing, so I had to wing it with the clip and gain to somewhat compress it, haha.

I remember this song. :) Brings back memories...

Nice sound on the acoustic, very clear and upfront. Vocals sound great too.

lurgan liar said:
I'm loving this track ...you mention that theres no rack? where is the reverb coming outta?

Thanks man. Yeah, the reverb is just the cheap digital reverb on cool edit. She was really sick recording the vocals too, she's an incredible singer (ever hear of Jojo? Well.. she beat her at a local singing competition.). I'm going to record her again tomorrow and do another song, I'll be posting that up tomorrow too.

Things are pretty clean. The main guitar rythym and the main vocal are in the same space. One sometimes covers the other. The background vocals are off to the side some. And the solo guitar ride is off to the side, also. I think I would separate the main vocal and main guitar some, and work on the dynamics some.

Nick98338 said:
Things are pretty clean. The main guitar rythym and the main vocal are in the same space. One sometimes covers the other. The background vocals are off to the side some. And the solo guitar ride is off to the side, also. I think I would separate the main vocal and main guitar some, and work on the dynamics some.

Well I felt it would be kind of dull if it was all centered, so I brought the harmonies off to the side (first set to the left, second to the right, 3rd centered), and brought the lead to the side. I was too unsure about how much it would effect the overall sound if i panned the lead vocals or rhythm guitar to actually do it.

Andy, I don't mind that acoustic sound...what sort of guitar is it and what kind of mic are you using and what's your soundcard? I mean the tone of the actual guitar could probably be better, no doubt but the capture of it seems pretty clean to me, which I like. I like this song. You know, you could try to give things a bit of space on this recording...like maybe double the guitar and have it a bit left and a bit right. At the moment the main vocal and the main guitar are pretty much occupying the centre together.

Monkey Allen said:
Andy, I don't mind that acoustic sound...what sort of guitar is it and what kind of mic are you using and what's your soundcard? I mean the tone of the actual guitar could probably be better, no doubt but the capture of it seems pretty clean to me, which I like. I like this song. You know, you could try to give things a bit of space on this recording...like maybe double the guitar and have it a bit left and a bit right. At the moment the main vocal and the main guitar are pretty much occupying the centre together.
Well, it's a Taylor 213, which I've gotten better recordings of, but considering the song is all powerchords, I didn't want to pick up a lot of treble because then you'd get all the dead strings hit really loud. I recorded it with a pair of MSH-1C's (one around the 12th fret, another at the bridge/body), through my Mackie Pre's and then through a Delta 44.

I agree about adding a bit more space with EQ or panning in the recording. Overall I really dig her voice, listened twice :cool: :cool: Good cover.

SnakeDog5050 said:
I agree about adding a bit more space with EQ or panning in the recording. Overall I really dig her voice, listened twice :cool: :cool: Good cover.

Thanks. I'll try doubling the rhythm guitar today and pan one hard each way, soften one side, and try slightly panning the vocals to the softer side. Think that should mix it up a bit?

Monkey Allen said:
Andy, I don't mind that acoustic sound...what sort of guitar is it and what kind of mic are you using and what's your soundcard? I mean the tone of the actual guitar could probably be better, no doubt but the capture of it seems pretty clean to me, which I like.

God, I love this song. She's a great singer. I was wondering the same thing about the guitar, but I know what you mean when you say it's all power chords. I was gonna suggest using a capo and playing some 'open', first-position chords to open up the sound slightly, but if the song just uses fifth chords, you might not want to do this. Anyway, good job.

32-20-Blues said:
God, I love this song. She's a great singer. I was wondering the same thing about the guitar, but I know what you mean when you say it's all power chords. I was gonna suggest using a capo and playing some 'open', first-position chords to open up the sound slightly, but if the song just uses fifth chords, you might not want to do this. Anyway, good job.
Thanks man. That she is. I just put up a song she wrote on there too, I recorded it today, and tried a couple of different things, which I think came out well, but no one has responded, haha.

Taylor 213? Is it similar to the 210? Maybe 32-20 Blues has a good idea when he mentions the capo...just because it's power chords in the original doesn't mean your cover has to. But yeah...I have a Taylor 110, just thought I'd say.

Monkey Allen said:
Taylor 213? Is it similar to the 210? Maybe 32-20 Blues has a good idea when he mentions the capo...just because it's power chords in the original doesn't mean your cover has to. But yeah...I have a Taylor 110, just thought I'd say.

I'm not extremely familiar with Taylors, all I know is that it had the best sound I'd ever heard, so I bought it. Haha. Probably not the best way to shop. :rolleyes:

andycerrone said:
I'm not extremely familiar with Taylors, all I know is that it had the best sound I'd ever heard, so I bought it. Haha. Probably not the best way to shop. :rolleyes:

Oh, no! That's *exactly* how to choose a guitar. First... sound. Then playablity. You have chosen well.

BTW, I just listened to "The Sky". Tuning is off.

Nick98338 said:
Oh, no! That's *exactly* how to choose a guitar. First... sound. Then playablity. You have chosen well.

BTW, I just listened to "The Sky". Tuning is off.

I know. She refused to use a tuner. Wanted to go by ear. You know the type.

Back