5 song ep recorded on cassette with sm58

soupdejour

Yo...

I recorded this 10 minutes of music (5 songs) with a Tascam 424MKIII and an SM58 primarily. I did a trumpet overdub and bass on one song in the studio. It was mixed and mastered by a pro. I think it came out pretty damn good considering. I was actually pretty surprised out how clear and present it is.

Check it out and let me know what you think. Appreciate it!

I'm Not Trying To Be Stupid | Banana Brains

Wow I could never get that sound out of my 424 MKIII in 2001 when I got it new. That sounds really good. Then I realized the mix was running through my '70s spring reverb (lol). When I muted the spring the mix sounded smaller, but still damn good. You're serious that's cassette? It's so low noise

Stupendous sound for a Tascam 4 tracker, with good songs done well. The horn overdubs were very good. I almost feel like putting a cassette in my very idle 424 mkII and letting it rip. I guess Rob Tavaglione deserves some big thanks here. It just goes to show ya . . . .

Thank you everybody for taking the time to listen and share you thoughts.

Yes, it's a cassette on all the vocals and acoustic. I used a single SM58 to capture vocals and guitar simultaneously. I just moved the mic around until I got a good balance between vox and gtr. Generally the mic was about 12 inches back pointed at just below my chin. I had a hard time with some of the songs because I don't have a real loud singing voice and the guitar would overpower the vocals, so I just had to keep moving the mic.

I should also say that I had to use the preamps in my Mackie 402VLZ4 because I couldn't get enough gain out of the tascam preamps. I didn't track with any compression or effects. I just drove the meters into the red (but not pegged).

I think one of the reasons it is so quiet is because they were all one track. (except the horns and the bass which were done digitally in the studio) I'll bet if I had four tracks filled up and bounces it would have gotten noisy.

Rob (the mix engineer) did an amazing job. It was a really fun project.

Back