3rd Metal EP Song - Critique Requested

jonlint

Working on the 3rd song from my band's first EP, applying some stuff from NTM (Nail The Mix). Feedback welcome:

hubiC - OVH

No amp sims, no drum samples, no bass amp sims. 100% analogue.

What do think about maybe using Soundcloud? :)
Oh you soundcloud die-hards! It's not the be-all-end-all of audio services.

That being said, the DL link didn't work for me.
If you're going to just offer a direct download, why not use the forum's built-in upload feature? It's easier than using a 3rd-party service (for both you and us); it's more trustworthy; and you get the same result.

That may be true, but it's very convenient to have a music player embedded in a post in order to give a track a quick listen :thumbs up:

Oh, and if Soundclick, or Reverbnation were offered as other possible embedded players I would gladly use either.

Having to download an mp3 isn't optimal, IMHO, and doesn't come close to the convenience of an embedded player.

The mp3 upload feature includes a player. And downloading is optimal for me because I can better analyze mixes if I can put them in my DAW and editor, run them through the TT DR Meter etc.

Every time I've clicked on the mp3 upload link or the uploaded mp3 file, the file has downloaded to my computer. Player did not launch. Other than Windows Media Player...

It has always worked for me.

...every song that is posted in the mixing clinic...

I don't even click on every thread in the clinic much less download everything, just one or two per week. If I'm going to bother checking a mix I'm going to do it as well as I can. In my DAW I can use the eq to precisely identify problem frequencies. For example, when I hear some LF buildup I can sweep the eq around to nail down the exact frequency. In my editor I can measure the volume, check for clipping or look at the spectrum analyzer.

Guitar tones - Check!
Bass tone - Check!
Kick - ?? needs something...doesn't hit me in the chest. Doesn't even hit me in the ears. Just sounds "click"
Snare - Meh. deep (not a bad thing), wet and too low on the volume.
Hihat - Okay, not special, but good. The kick is not flattering it at all....
Toms / Overheads - Check!
Vocal - Raw, powerful, plenty of air. Check! a bit pitchy in spots.
Lead - harsh. May be what you're after, but hard on this old man's ears. :)
Overall mix - other than the snare and the lack of kick bite, things sound good, well balanced.

When the bass, drums and second guitar kick in it's a revelatory moment :WOW:. The vocal could use some harmonies in spots, but sound good as is. Like the verb that's on them.

Wow, no drum samples? The drum part gives the impression that it is, due to it's simplicity. Great guitar tones (you nailed that), but the vocals are pitchy, and could use pitch-correcting software, and the bass could have a bit of treble sheen on it (distortion) to make it pop out in the mix.
It's a good song that deserves a better drum performance.

I thought the guitars were a little scratchy, not sure if that's the exact tone you wanted. The lower vocals need some work, and I'd look into changing the arrangement during those sections. I think that chug riff gets a little repetitive and I'd keep it for the chorus/solo, but perhaps hang on some chords for the verse or give it a different vibe once in awhile.

The vocals are mixed very well, in my opinion. I think you're pretty close with this.

I think it probably sounds pretty close to what you're going for. It'd be nice if the snare was a little more forward and the kick had some 50Hz in it, but I do realize that clicky kicks with no low end are a thing. Good performances.

The hi-hat sounds a bit strange, almost like it has a little tambourine on it, did the drummer actually use one? I think the kick sounds good for the genre. The snare could use more punch or maybe it has too much reverb, it feels like it's behind the mix. Other then that I think everything sounds pretty metal.

Cool guitar tones for sure. I think the sound of the drums has a whole just are not blending well enough. They just sound to distinct from the rest of the band...but just my opinion. I think the bass could come up too. Also, while listening at low volume the vocals are way too forward. I switched to headphones and they sounded better but I still think they are still too loud.

I think it sounds like a really cool song, just some tweaks. Great job

Back