3 songs - acoustic pop/rock - some POD electric stuff too!

"Fly Away"
I can;t comment greatly as i am listening on computer speakers. However one thing i noticed is that the lead vocals are a bit harsh, they could use something like a DEesser, or a good graphic Eq to take the harsh edge off of them. Other than that it sounded pretty darn good. What kind of setup are you using?

Thanks for the feedback 2lim.

Setup:

Intel PC (1Ghz CPU, 256MB RAM)
Echo Layla 24/96
Mackie 1642 VLZ PRO mixer
Millennia HV3 preamp
JoeMeek VC6Q preamp
DBX 386 preamp
Lexicon MPX500
Alesis M1 monitors
Emagic Logic Audio Platinum
Steinberg WaveLab
B.L.U.E. Dragonfly condenser mic
AT 4033 mic
Rode NT1
Shure SM81
Taylor acoustic guitars
POD
FMR RNC (really nice compressor)
Waves NPP

For this song, I didn't have the Millennia HV3 preamp yet, which would have made a HUGE impact on the vocals. I used the B.L.U.E. Dragonfly mic into the DBX 386 preamp into the Mackie into the Layla. I have noticed that the DBX can be a little harsh if not set just right. That is why I picked up the HV3 preamp...clear as glass!

The vocals were a little tricky with this song for me.

I could try making them less "present" with EQ to eliminate some of the harshness. You're right though...you can never really get an accurate sonic picture with PC speakers.

Thanks again for your feedback.

You didn't mention how the drums were laid down.

Also- was the acoustic guitar used with a pickup to drive the POD?

Also- did you use the digital outs on the dbx386 straight into Layla @ 24/96 or analog thru the Mackie board? I've noticed my dbx386 can sound weird if I push the input too hard. But these artifacts only crop up if the signal is in the -1 dB and louder realm.

Sounds mighty clean.

My only nitpick with the recording was the reverb on the vocal. That might be a personal taste issue so take that comment in that context.

"Everyday"
Cool tune. I wish the vocals were a little louder. There's a couple of intonation problems in spots ... but pretty minor overall.
The mix sounds as good as I can ascertain with how I'm listening to this (don't ask ;) ).
How did you record the drums? They sound pretty good.
I like the sound of the clean and acoustic guitars ... however, the solo/fill guitar annoys me a little ... almost like too much distortion or something. Kinda like a Poison-type sound ... but if that's what you were going for, good job. I just don't like that overproduced, slick sound on guitar ... my opinion only of course. :)
Overall, it sounds like a pretty nice recording. I'll download it and play it in the studio when I get back. Nice job.

Nice job- I particularly liked the 12-string stuff. I agree with the BigK though on the distorted guitar - maybe push it back a bit in the mix. You can hear the hours you've got into these- you're on the right track.

Bob

Drstawl...

Great questions! Here goes...

DRUMS:

Used JV1010, one of the "Sessions" sets. I recorded each piece of the kit to a separate track, mixed and processed appropriately. The MIDI programming was done using Sountrek's Jammer Pro with some individual edits here and there after importing in Logic. If I remember correctly, I ran the drums out of the JV 1010 into the dbx 386 to provide some warmth and grit.

ACOUSTIC GUITARS:

Stereo mic'd with Rode NT1 at the bridge and Shure SM81 at about the 12th fret. Neither guitar (12 string or 6 string) ran through the POD.

DBX 386:

Analog out through Mackie board.

Thanks for the feedback. I really appreciate you taking some time to check it out and give me your thoughts.

BigK...

Thanks for the great info. Drums were done with JV1010 sound module into the dbx 386 and out to Mackie then into Layla. Each piece of the kit was recorded to separate audio tracks.

Rock on!

Buffalo Bob...

Thanks for taking a listen and giving me your thoughts. Your comments are consistent with what I have received so far from other sources as well.

I agree the lead guitar should be further back in the mix and probably not so consistent throughout the whole song. We were trying to go for a Journey type guitar thang.

Hours and hours...you bet! I have the fortunate or unfortunate pleasure of working with a perfectionist, amateur Producer. I am now use to hours and hours and hours of fader movements, effects tweaks, etc. etc. My family is starting to wonder who I am!

Oh well...its the end result that matters most eh?

Take care.

Listened to all three, while not at liberty to coment on the mix (pc speakers here) I thought the songs were great, and production as well. Like Buffalo Bob said I thought the twelve string sounded very good, gotta alot of range in them vocals for sure! Forgeiner came to mind when I listened to these, had that style "to me". Good stuff you got here...David

Hey David...

WOW!! All three! Fantastic.

Thanks for taking some valuable time to take a listen. Foreigner huh? That's cool.

fly away

the good:

great reverb
the guitar sound is everything I would want it to be and more
Nice expression in your singing
Good quality recording

The bad:
The vox came in really harsh. A combo of nt1 and dbx386. wow
It sounded lacking simply because it was only guitar and vox

The ugly:

wait for it.....
none

jimho

I thought "Seasons' was the best track of the 3. I think the tune could be shorter but I know sometimes if it takes 5 minutes express yourself you just have to go with it. I thought the songwriting was good in this tune and didn't find the vocals that harsh. I'm listening on consumer headphones however and nothing really sounds harsh in these. The mix sounded good to me particularly in Seasons and was some cool stuff going on with the harmonies and backing vox as well as the little accoustic guitar part near the end of the track

Peace
Ray J

Electric guitar

The guitars sound great!!!!! Awesome. I had a quick question. You mentioned how you recorded the acoustics. How about the electric guitars? I mainly record latin music such as salsa, merengue, and some ballads but I would love to learn some good ways of recording electric guitars.

Listenend to Fly Away.

Liked the acoustic on the intro. It had a pretty good sound elsewhere too.

The harmonies could use a little work in spots (the "ahs"), they could be a little smoother - and three part too. Some spots however, they sounded nice.

Singer had a powerful voice. As others mentioned, kind of a harsh sound. I think there are things you can do about this. I might experiment with mixer settings during tracking and EQing during mixing - get some midrange out and maybe boost around 800-1000Hz. Just guesses.

I would have gone for a more subtle reverb - it was a bit too thick for my tastes. Other's mentioned they liked it - so go figure :)

Back