21st century 60's pop.......

R

RAMI

...sort of. Not really. :D

I started out wanting to write a 60's "Kids are Alright" type of tune, but I sort of swayed from that.

So, I'm not sure what this is, but it's a change from what I usually do, so it was fun.

Not sure about the levels. Sometimes I find the vocals too loud, sometimes I don't. Same with the drums...and the bass....guitars too. :eek:

So any help will, as always, be much appreciated. I'm not listening to this with fresh ears at this point, so I don't know what the hell is going on.

Thanx

HAPPENS TO YOU

Last edited:
Good tune, I like the guitar riff. The recording is clean and the mix is good, every instrument is distinct. Good song and arrangement, a cool pre-chorus and a real distinct bridge topped off with a nice guitar solo, sounds like you know what you're doing. My critical 2cents, i don't like that snappy snare sound, i'd prefer a fat snare sound, I think tambourine would work great in this song like on the verse or chorus only, it really does give a 60's feel when mixed with the snare. Also the dynamics seem a bit wierd, like going into the verse the guitars split and quiet down but the mix does not get more quiet! Maybe it's cause the vocals are pretty hot, but it seems like you intended dynamics there and i think they would help. I woulda verbed this up a bit-plates on the vocals, spring on the guitar, but that's just me. I would drop the bu vocal a bit in the main hook line. Really a nice sounding recording-how's this done? Listened about 6 times in a row. : )

**edit-the outtro drum lick--the kick sounds funky-is that the sound through the whole song???

Good tune, I like the guitar riff. The recording is clean and the mix is good, every instrument is distinct. Good song and arrangement, a cool pre-chorus and a real distinct bridge topped off with a nice guitar solo, sounds like you know what you're doing. My critical 2cents, i don't like that snappy snare sound, i'd prefer a fat snare sound, I think tambourine would work great in this song like on the verse or chorus only, it really does give a 60's feel when mixed with the snare. Also the dynamics seem a bit wierd, like going into the verse the guitars split and quiet down but the mix does not get more quiet! Maybe it's cause the vocals are pretty hot, but it seems like you intended dynamics there and i think they would help. I woulda verbed this up a bit-plates on the vocals, spring on the guitar, but that's just me. I would drop the bu vocal a bit in the main hook line. Really a nice sounding recording-how's this done? Listened about 6 times in a row. : )

**edit-the outtro drum lick--the kick sounds funky-is that the sound through the whole song???
Hey Stratomaster. I really appreciate you taking the time to listen and make such a detailed comment.

Funny, a lot of the stuff you mentioned was stuff I was concerned with. I thought about putting tamborine in some parts. I had a lot more reverb on vocals and a few instruments, but toned it down in the end. Maybe I'll goo back to what I originally intended. I also thought of turning down the back vocals in the main riff (chorus), but then realized that I wasn't sure what part should actually be considered the lead vocal and which one was the back, so I kept them both the same volume. I wasn't sure what to do with the verses, ,mix-wise, so I'm glad you mentioned that it needs some dynamics.

Thanx man, I agree with most of what you said. :cool:

I think it sounds great. I wouldn't go mucking it up with reverb. I really don't have any problems at all with the mix. I think everything sits just right. Maybe I'd like a hair more snare. I love the 1-4-5 brit-pop inspired end part. I've used endings like that in a bunch of my songs. I think it's very cool. The only nits I have are personal preference type stuff that have nothing to do with the mix. Like I think the lead tone is too thin. What you have is fine, but I'd like it a little meatier. I'm not crazy about the breakdown in the middle. I like the song though. This sounds like your older stuff. Well done.

I liked the song. Really liked the harmonies. Sounded good. Very clean recording.

Not much I would change. I think I agree with Greg that I'd personally prefer a beefier sound on the lead guitar.

I didn't get a big 60's feel to this. Not that it's miles away from that either. Didn't sound like "The Kids Are Alright" so yeah you swerved a little bit during the writing process.

But still a real cool song.

I think it sounds great. I wouldn't go mucking it up with reverb. I really don't have any problems at all with the mix. I think everything sits just right. Maybe I'd like a hair more snare. I love the 1-4-5 brit-pop inspired end part. I've used endings like that in a bunch of my songs. I think it's very cool. The only nits I have are personal preference type stuff that have nothing to do with the mix. Like I think the lead tone is too thin. What you have is fine, but I'd like it a little meatier. I'm not crazy about the breakdown in the middle. I like the song though. This sounds like your older stuff. Well done.
Thanx man.

I always got room for more snare. :D

Yeah, the solo's kind of thin. That's a product of lack of direction during the process of putting the tune together. Whne I did the solo, I was still thinking 60's, like "Hang On Sloopy" or something. But the song ended up taking a different direction after I did the solo. I'm not that concerned with solos in general, so I'm going to leave it, but I agree with what you said.

Thanx Greg. :cool:

I liked the song. Really liked the harmonies. Sounded good. Very clean recording.

Not much I would change. I think I agree with Greg that I'd personally prefer a beefier sound on the lead guitar.

I didn't get a big 60's feel to this. Not that it's miles away from that either. Didn't sound like "The Kids Are Alright" so yeah you swerved a little bit during the writing process.

But still a real cool song.
Thanx a lot leM.

Yeah, the only part that MIGHT approach a 60's vibe is the B part of the verse. At first, I was going to write and produce it really 60's, with mono drums panned to one side and all that stuff. But I scrapped that idea eventually.

Thanx man!

Pretty slick as usual. Great harmonies. There's never a lot to say about your stuff other than it rocks.

I get the 60's bit, its more the harmonies than anything else, definitely gives it that vibe...I hope you wont be offended but it really struck me as the title track for a TV show...its got that instancy and its short, sharp, and catchy

Ive got nothing on the mix at all, I never have with your stuff...sounded crisp and clear to me

Pretty slick as usual. Great harmonies. There's never a lot to say about your stuff other than it rocks.
Thanx a lot Track. :cool:

.I hope you wont be offended but it really struck me as the title track for a TV show...its got that instancy and its short, sharp, and catchy
Hehe....No offense taken. It's definitely supposed to be a little "catchy", and that can come off a little corny sometimes. I think starting with the chorus also gives a bit of an AM hit kind of thing. But I always wanted to start a song with the chorus but was never able to write one that called for it until this one.

Thanx K.

Anyway, I have no shortage of rockers in my catalogue. My last few tunes have been an attempt to do something different.

Back