Is your mix mono compatible?

$326 for a single, crappy sounding speaker w/shipping to the US....?

Pass...................I can just get some $20 car speakers, mount them on my console bridge and have the same effect :D

How do you turn a Chevy Blazer into a Range Rover....?
Just tape $20k to the hood of the Blazer.

:laughings:

I was a bit confused about the mono compatible title and the topic. Mono compatible means there won't be any phasing issues when combined in mono, for example MS(mid-side) micing.
On the other hand I am working with an engineer now who is mixing tracks meant for the phone, and when i heard them at first, they sounded extremely high midrangy. He explained thats how it will translate properly over the phone.
With that said, If the mix sounds the way its supposed to sound, shitty speakers or whatever everyone else is using shouldn't have a say. There is going to be that one system that your mix will sound like crap on, so what, the owner wouldn't know anyways...
Ha.

$326 for a single, crappy sounding speaker w/shipping to the US....?

Pass...................I can just get some $20 car speakers, mount them on my console bridge and have the same effect :D

How do you turn a Chevy Blazer into a Range Rover....?
Just tape $20k to the hood of the Blazer.

:laughings:

you've got me thinking, why don't I start mixing through my fender champ 600 with a jensen 6 inch speaker?....

I was a bit confused about the mono compatible title and the topic. Mono compatible means there won't be any phasing issues when combined in mono, for example MS(mid-side) micing.
On the other hand I am working with an engineer now who is mixing tracks meant for the phone, and when i heard them at first, they sounded extremely high midrangy. He explained thats how it will translate properly over the phone.
With that said, If the mix sounds the way its supposed to sound, shitty speakers or whatever everyone else is using shouldn't have a say. There is going to be that one system that your mix will sound like crap on, so what, the owner wouldn't know anyways...
Ha.
While it's true that you will have no control over the playback system, there is a high probability that your stuff will be played back in mono. (assuming it gets out into the world)

Of course the mix will sound different in mono, but if the guitars and keyboards completely disappear when someone tries to play your song fo a friend on their phone speaker, the friend won't be impressed.

In an instance like that, no one expects it to sound epic, but all the main parts should be there.

I run sound for a lot of meetings and conventions. all the audiofrom the power points is summed to mono in the di.

mono is everywhere.

again, NO one that i know that has purchased my material, or anyone listening to other bands i've produced to date, listens in mono.

i'm still looking for someone to tell me personally "yes, i listen to music for fun in mono".
just hasn't happened yet.

(for the record: i DO check my mixes in mono when i work with material that was recorded at another location or studio... i occasionally get material with LESS THAN STELLAR tracks to mix, and there are phase issues that are easier to find that way, than any other way.)

I've heard at least one of my mixes on a mono FM station. Boy was I glad it was mono compatible. Although mono compatibility is a great thing in itself that's not the only reason I mix that way. Things just sound more solid, focused and punchy when I mix like that, even when heard in stereo.

Sometimes I use CDs from local musicians as break music for live shows. If I'm mixing on a mono system some of them are unusable.

most of the people I know don't even have hi-fi's or speakers anymore, they all listen through i-phones, i-pods oh and mono laptop speakers, I see a pattern here...

most of the people I know don't even have hi-fi's or speakers anymore, they all listen through i-phones, i-pods oh and mono laptop speakers, I see a pattern here...

Right. But isn't the internet mono?? There's only one wire coming in the house. :p

again, NO one that i know that has purchased my material, or anyone listening to other bands i've produced to date, listens in mono.

i'm still looking for someone to tell me personally "yes, i listen to music for fun in mono".
just hasn't happened yet.
I really don't think anyone does it on purpose. But there are a lot of ways the stuff can be played back in mono. Club PA systems can be mono, the obvious iphone thing, power point presentations are always fed to the house sound in mono. Hell, in the AV world, you have to look long and hard to find any stereo playback.

Back