your goto plug inS for VOCALS

It depends on context, but generally I use UAD Pultec Pro for eq, UAD La2a for compressor, UAD deesser for de-essing, UAD EMT 140 for reverb, and delay is usually readelay.

UAD Cambridge 1st call generaly for flexibility and ease, PSP or the UAD pultec (PSP's more lately)
Compressor, all the usual suspects but almost always 'what does it seem like it might like first, and about half the time for compressors I'll pick for 'roll your own paramaters as much as sound style'.

I'm sort of just getting used to a couple of their comps myself.

The other thing of theirs is that '85 (forgetting the number right now.. delay/multi fx.
So far that is my most want-to-like but can't seem to get up to spped on' FX :rolleyes:

I use something different for every album/song, but this is what I've been using for the pop-punk album I'm mixing now

Vocals were tracked with UA 4-710d with some light compression on the way in

EQ - Usually FabFilter. UAD Pultec if I want more character

Compression - Elysia Mpressor or Alpha

Parallel Compression - UAD 1176 AE
Parallel Distortion - Noveltech Character

Bus - UAD Massive Passive

ReaEQ for EQ (I have a special secret trick with this one)
ReaComp for Compression
ReaFIR usually for verb with custom rooms I built in Voxengo's Impulse Modeler
If I need a delay, it's usually either Analogic or Bionic

I don't really believe in "character" or "color" in a compressor. Most of the emulator type comps don't have the knobs or the response that I've come to expect. If I want distortion or filtering, I can find them elsewhere.

I'd think a lot of a compressor's character comes from their differences in attack / releases.

Whatever eq I chose ---> insert
Whatever compressor I chose ---> insert
SIR 2 (convolution reverb) ---> send
Nomad factory Tempo delay ---->send

Plugs...Reaper included JS stuff. comp and eq, reverb...

I'd love to get a plug like this though..

Attachments

• SSL4000.png
    SSL4000.png
    290.5 KB · Views: 104
EQ - Focusrite Midnight EQ or DDMF 6144
Compressor - Focusrite Midnight Compressor or Logic stock compressor on Opto
De-esser - if it needs de-essing i'll go outboard as i've not found a really nice plugin one
Reverb - Altiverb 6 on a send or, for a more 80's sound, an old Alesis Microverb I

Tbh, the majority of the time i run vocals back out through my focusrite isa 220 (hence the plugin version when i'm lazy/there's lots of tracks) as the EQ, Comp, and De-esser and brilliant on it.

EQ: generally just the logic stock eq. Sometimes a pultec sometimes an waves SSL.
Compression: CLA 2A or 76. Sometimes both
Reverb: Lexicon Room
Delay: H-Delay or Echoboy
Recently I have been getting some cool sounds out of a soundtoys crystalizer.

Vocal chain - 4 Tracks
Vox buss - EQ, Compressor, limiter
Audio Track - De-esser
Parallel Track - Compressor, limiter, saturation
Aux's - harmonizer, slap delay, plate verb, hall verb, 1/4 delay (echo boy)

I like using the RND portico 5043 compressor on vocals a lot, I usually ride the vocals first with no compression EQ or effects and THEN start thinking about compression.

Back