Yamaha MG12/4 mixer question

carbonscoring

I posted this in another forum but, after some thinking I probabley should have posted it here. I just recieved a Yamaha MG12/4 12-Input 4 Bus Mixer and M-audio's Delta 44. I would like to record Four Simultaneous tracks for the drums. Snare, bass drum, overhead and maybe hi-hat. I would like to use the mixer to mix before I send it to the breakout box and then do additional mixing, if needed, in software.

My questions is how to send it to the Break out box. I know that it looks like traditionally you pan it to the AUX bus 1 or 2 and then 1/4 out to the break-out box. But that means that if I had 4 MIC inputs that they would be squeezed into just two. Does that sound right? I would like to keep as much seperated so once I get it into my recording software that I have the ablity to tweek it more if needed.

According to the Yamaha MG12/4 manual the I/O input is traditional used for additional effects. I guess if I try using the Mic input then I/O out to the Break-out box that it would work but, Im not certain, and if I do this will I be able to still use the EQ on the board. I dont know please let me know if there is an easier way, This seems like a nice board and I would like to get its full potential out of it.

Thanks..

you just send two channels panned L-R to your main output and the two other also panned L-R to your group output which gives you four seperate busses. read what's on the switches (and read the fooking manual !)

carbonscoring said:
I posted this in another forum but, after some thinking I probabley should have posted it here. I just recieved a Yamaha MG12/4 12-Input 4 Bus Mixer and M-audio's Delta 44. I would like to record Four Simultaneous tracks for the drums. Snare, bass drum, overhead and maybe hi-hat. I would like to use the mixer to mix before I send it to the breakout box and then do additional mixing, if needed, in software.

My questions is how to send it to the Break out box. I know that it looks like traditionally you pan it to the AUX bus 1 or 2 and then 1/4 out to the break-out box. But that means that if I had 4 MIC inputs that they would be squeezed into just two. Does that sound right? I would like to keep as much seperated so once I get it into my recording software that I have the ablity to tweek it more if needed.

According to the Yamaha MG12/4 manual the I/O input is traditional used for additional effects. I guess if I try using the Mic input then I/O out to the Break-out box that it would work but, Im not certain, and if I do this will I be able to still use the EQ on the board. I dont know please let me know if there is an easier way, This seems like a nice board and I would like to get its full potential out of it.

Thanks..

Can you use this mixer as a controller for your recording software? if so which software do you use?

Couple of ideas

* Are you trying to record the 4 mics as seperate channels and run the signals through the ST outputs (mixed down to stereo,) while using the boards EQ and panning for the ST outs?

- If this is the case then you would want to run your cables from the I/O's on the 4 channels of your mixer, straight to the 4 inputs on the delta44.

- If you want the signal from your mics to reach the ST outs on your mixer and be able to use EQ and panning for these outputs then do not plug your 1/4 cable all the way in to the I/O's.

- This would allow you to record your mics "dry" with no EQ or panning etc, with minimal signal path and highest quality.

- The EQ and panning adjustments on the mixer would not have any effect on your recorded signal, but you could use these adjustments to effect the signal that comes out of the ST outputs.

- I would to use this method if your main goal is to record the microphone signals with as much quality as you can with the mixer's preamps. EQ and panning could be done to your recorded sounds afterwards with more control (within your recording software.)

Hope this makes some sense, please ask me to clarify anything that is confusing.

Well my original goal was to have four mics running simotanously with the ability to use the EQ on the board and record that same EQ part and send it to my recording software (Sonar 2 XL) The reason for this is that I thought if I could EQ it the way my drummer wanted it on the board first then if any more additionl mixing I could do in software. Plus the board has phantom power and I like the physical aspect of being able to control something. Then say adjusting in in Cakwalk.

I read an old post a few days ago that someone was basically asking the same question. Last night I tested it and it worked like a charm except when I monitored the tracks. What I did is to have four mics comming into the board and the first two mics routed to the stereo out then to the delta 44 and the third and fourth mic routed out to the Group out channel to the delta 44.

That gave me four sepreate tracks and seemed to work nice however when I monitored from the back of my soundcard 1/8" to the mixer's 2TR In RCA jacks then pluged in the phones and adjust the level with the Control Room volume knob. This worked well I heard what had been recorded and what I was recording however, when I recorded the track not only did I record what I was playing but, somehow other tracks were picked up and bleed into that track. I know some have used the outs on the Delta44 to monitior but, I would like to hear all the tracks that I have on cakewalk which can be as many as eight tracks and up as well as what I'm playing; I like to throw in loops to make weird sound effects sometimes most I dont use but, I like to have the option to use them.

Does that make sense?

what 'am I doing wrong?

thanks ...

Hey, i just did a search and this thread came up, and it raises an issue that i have, but it was left unanswered.

I've just got a new Yamaha MG10/2 mixer, and i reckon ive got it set up alright, apart from the fact that the backing track that i want to listen to while recording, is recorded to the sound card along with the signal coming from the mics.

I'll be recording a kit tomorrow and would LOVE it if someone could give me a pointer as to how to be able to monitor the backing track through the head phones while avoiding it being recorded along with the kit.

So far i have set up as follows;
Coming out of the soundcard (2/2 Audiowerk) and into the 2TR IN - from this everything playing in Cubase, along with the input signals (the kit) can be monitored.

The 3 mics go into the mixer at the XLR inputs.

REC OUT takes the sound from the mixer and into the soundcard.

So, i can adjust the levels of what is monitored using the 2TR IN control fader, and the C-R/PHONES fader, but no matter what i do, i cant get the backing track to go into the mixer, be heard through the monitors, BUT NOT LEAVE THE MIXER AGAIN....its as if a bypass switch is needed or something, maybe if i take the output from the soundcard and go into the mixer through the send and return section?

Thanks alot if anyone can help.

i think the problem with the bleeding of tracks you've already recorded will come because you've sent the out from the computer onto either the ST or the group out of the mixer. You want to press the PFL (Prefader level) button on the mixer. This will send the sound to the headphones without sending it to either the group or ST. You can only effect the volume of this using the volume control for the headphones, not the fader for that channel.

use one of the stereo inputs on the mixer to get an idea of any panning you've done on the computer.

hope that helps.

Andy.

Argh...sorry to be a pain in the arse but does anyone know how to sort this problem? We're recording drums today, and you know the way when you buy a load of new gear and everything works except one thing, well thats what it is, ive got the mics set up, SM57 on snare, SP B1 overhead, Sennheiser e835 on kick, but i cant get the mixer to just send the signal from the 2TR in to the phones section, instead of acting as a standard input.

Its not as if the sound is bleeding through, its simply being input into the mixer and then send back into the soundcard, creating a loop. Please help if anyone has had the same problem.

cheers

Anyone? I've had to use two mixers to bypass this problem and its hassle i could do without to be honest.
cheers

well im using my old behringer mixer for monitoring just now...i find that a bit retarded tho, the whole point having a mixer i thought was that it was the centre of your recording set up. cheers anyway andy

yea i got this mixer to i love it but this is also my first mixer and im tryna mix eq everything the beat,vocals, im a rapper so i dont use any instruments ohter than my voice so can you guys help me?
i dont know a signal is or anything if u wnna contact me on aim my sn is:
KnightMere2005

thanks in advance

Back