Yamaha HSM80 speaker noise - static - hiss !?!?

itsme1234

Hi. Ive owned these speakers for a while now and I really love the sound of them!

However, I seem to be having a problem with this high pitched static / hiss noise coming out of the tweeters.

The amplitude of each speaker has exactly the same amount of noise (35db roughly)

Ive tried changing all the built in filter settings, rotating the volume knobs, with and without the audio cables connected to my DAW, running the power with and without a Monster PRO-900 power center, changing power outlets all together...

But the sound emitting the speakers is unaltered.

Ive had these speakers for a year now and they have done it since day 1. I was just dealing with it but its starting to drive me insane.

Does anyone else own these and have the same issue?

Thanks in advance!

I never had the issue with them, are they still under warrenty? I'd love to hear others feedback on the issue

Well, no offense, but if these made the noise since day 1, shame on you! If both speakers are doing it equally. it's either both speakers were defective, or (more likely) there is something inthe environment generating the noise which is then getting picked up by the speakers' map or crossover network.
Can you bring at least one of the speakers to a different location and try it? If it still makes the noise, then iit's the speakers, if not, its something causing the interference where you have them - proximity to a monitor, tv, or something!

Agreed. Shame on me. I figured as much it might be something in my chain, but was just happy with the fact of how much better they sounded than my previous speakers i thought I could live with it until I had time to do the process of elimination. Now, a year later, and the sound is really starting to annoy me so I decided it was 'that time'.

So I did try different scenarios as mentioned above including moving to different areas and different power sources, however, the same exact and level of sound is still emitting through the tweeters.

The best way to describe the noise I am hearing is the sound you would hear if you had a source's input volume maxed out and a speaker turned up, except it is constant with out any change to volume or any source connected to my yamahas.

Funny enough, there are a bazillion post on the internet with the same exact issue as I am having, but I never seen a post with someone who has resolved it.

I even seen a post where someone contacted Yamaha and Yamaha said this was normal.

I bet most people have the same issue but they just dont notice it/ hear it.

This may sound silly, but if I move or tilt my head slightly, then I dont hear it as clearly (enough that it will not bother me), however, sitting in the sweet spot (where I should be sitting to hear the most accurate sound staging in my mixes), I undoubtly hear it at full capacity and it drives me crazy!!!

Unless of course I have sound coming out of it. But most of the time I have no sound when im doing visual edits to give my ears a break.

I guess I will just have to deal with it.

I noticed a problem with hiss associated with recording my live performances? Then I realised, it was coming from the audience...

Last edited:
Back