xlr cables made for me at this local store

jugalo180

www.moneyistherecipe.com
this guy at thisl local music store made two pair of xlr cables for me. i needed a male xlr to male 1/4 inch adapter. i'm pretty sure that he spliced two cables together in the back of his shop and put a heat gun to some shrink wrap to cover the splice. i know a (little) about splicing (r)adio (f)requency antenna cables, but nothing about this type of cable. do you guys know if this may be a bad idea to buy this type of cable? can the splice cause some distortion? when i did it a while back i checked it with a multimeter. what kind of test can i do to these type of cables in his store, what piece of equipment, and what type of signal strength am i looking for? i know he has a tester, because he's making the cables, and that (should) be an important part of his tools. i don't want to go there unprepared in asking to test out his work and not know if i'm getting the best reading i can get.

The idea of buying custom cables is nothing new. Somebody has to make them.

But are you sure he is splicing in the middle and not just putting the right jacks on the end? The main problem with a middle splice is that it would be pretty weak and the cable would probably go bad sooner than later. If he is just putting the jacks onto the cable than there is nothing wrong with that.

cool

thanks tex, i'll be sure to check that out. i feel a lot better about the whole idea now.

A tiny thought on this topic.

The "normal" way to make cables is to attach the correct connectors to the two ends of a cable, rather than to splice together cables with the connectors you want on either end. For example: if handed an XLR-XLR cable, and told to make it into a XLR-TRS cable, I think most people who know what they're doing would cut off the approriate XLR (right near the connector) and solder a TRS plug onto it.

It is common (but not necessary) to use a heat gun and shrink sleeving if you're doing it this way. A lot of people shrink a sleeve over the soldered connection points before screwing the shell into place.

Splicing creates a ready-made failure point for the cable. You also have to connect the shields somehow, which is sort of a pain and leaves at least a little tiny bit of signal line unshielded (probably not a big deal).

ww-w--w-waitaminute.

He spliced two cables together????

TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE.

Do not buy those cables. Your cable should be uninterrupted copper from end to end.. woth no cuts splices or tapejobs.

A spliced cable is unheard of above the middle school level.. if there.

xoox

there should be a mensa test on here.

yeah, in the electronics maintainance shop it's a certaine length they will splice the cable up to, any break past that length is considered deadlined. i only worked with a few cables and that was a while ago. i was trying to learn a new trade in the military. it's a pretty simple process once learned. i would have to be retought, due to it being a crash course. thanks everyone for refreshing the theory of it all for me. thanks evereyone that responded, i often awe at all of the knowledge that flow through this forum. thanks again guys.:)

Back