Wireless headphones for tracking

Myriad_Rocker

I'm specifically referring to vocal tracking. My vocal booth is across the room from my headphone amp. Are wireless headphones a good alternative?

And if so, how about these? They're semi-open.
AKG K 206

you could run into RMI if your studio isn't entirely balanced (or even sometimes if it is)

i've had something as simple as cell phones ruin takes (typically blackberry's)

bennychico11 said:
you could run into RMI if your studio isn't entirely balanced (or even sometimes if it is)

i've had something as simple as cell phones ruin takes (typically blackberry's)

Problem solved then. I don't want to have problems created by a need for convenience.

Yo M-R: :D

I use a set of wireless cans to do work in my studio. They do give you motion freedom and if you're just setting up tracks to mix or putting backing tracks into your SIAB or PC, I think they work fine.

I dig my Beyer cans use them when recording tracks but I'd have no problem recording using the wireless cans. Mixing? Nay! Use the monitors to set up the mix as ALL will tell you.

Happy 4th of July and August too.

Green Hornet :D

Any of the wireless headphones I've owned (Sennheiser, Sony) have a built-in volume leveler/limiter. I suppose it's a neat feature for the average listener who doesn't know loud from too-loud .. But for audio work, the headphones are basically useless because of this.

DM1 said:
Any of the wireless headphones I've owned (Sennheiser, Sony) have a built-in volume leveler/limiter. I suppose it's a neat feature for the average listener who doesn't know loud from too-loud .. But for audio work, the headphones are basically useless because of this.
True enough is one is talking aboout using the phones behind the glass. But for mix monitoring by the performers themselves, accuracy of reproduction is not as critical; they really just need to be able to hear the performers well enough to be able to play along. For that, I think wireless is just fine, IMHO.

That said, though, I'd rather spend $8 on a 25' headphone extension cable than triple digits on wireless phones. :)

G.

Wireless is great for freedom but not very accurate for sound.
As long as you know this you will be OK.
Sometimes the freedom to be wireless can really help in tracking.

-Stew

I use em occassionally. particularly if I want to stand up to play - just a little bit of freedom that helps sometimes.
Not what I use all the time but handy, very handy sometimes. Borrow a set & see whether or not they work for your circumstances.
I bought 2 set on eBay for not a lot.

Back