[SOLVED] Why does my first track bleed over to the others.... Its all part of the puzzle

Dipre153

There is sometimes to much information... So I will add to the problem...

My problem was probably so elementary but it was still a problem nevertheless...

I would record my first track. Of course I would then listen and play along on the second track. The problem was that the first track also recorded onto the second track along with the music I was adding...

Someone is rolling their eyes saying please take this post back to mixing 101...

I have a small home studio using a Dell Laptop (If you can afford a MAC go Mac), and a Yamaha MG16XU mixer. The software I am using is Cake Walk Sonar Professional.

I will not tell you that all I will say is correct... I will say it is correct for me until I learn differently...

The problem I had was not with the input or output setting in Sonar.... My problem was mechanical...

The Mixer had to be set up so that when I was playing back the first track, the signal would not go through the mixer back to the next track being recorded...

So this is what I did...

The studio monitors were moved to the Aux 1 and Aux 2 output
The USB IN was taken off of STEREO so it would not be routed into the other inputs and back to the computer when recording. The AUX 1 and AUX 2 output levels were increased to raise the volume from the computer when the tracks were playing... Also Aux 1 and Aux 2 were increased in the Send Master.
All other inputs for the other instruments were left on stereo or in a group as needed.
Now when adding additional tracks there is no bleed over from any of the previous tracks onto the newly recorded tracks...

I hope this helps someone... Trying to work through this was a challenge.... A lot of time staring, thinking and reasoning...

There may be another way but this is the way I did it...

One of the many reasons that an audio interface is recommended over a mixer for recording. Glad you got it figured out.

Back