Where to find Cheap Mixing and Mastering??

nirospring

I understand that you get what you pay for, but I would like to find audio mixing for less than $200 per track. Actually, I was hoping $40 per track, and this doesn't seem to exist. My songs are fairly uncomplicated rock and roll. I usually bounce my tracks down to less than 6 tracks. I'm just looking for someone with the right skills and plug-ins to play with my song for an hour, and send back the result (which I don't expect to be professional, but a solid improvement). And then hopefully a little advice for future tracks.

I know a little bit about compression, reverb, eq, etc. When I spend the time, I feel like I get ok results on my own stuff. But I'm not an audiophile, and I'd much rather be writing music than tweaking it. And I'd rather not hate my own music by the time I'm done mixing it.

Any advice from anyone? I'd think there'd be a lot of freelance mixers out there that would give a one hour mix for $40.

I threw a few songs up on soundcloud to give an idea of what I'm talking about. If anyone is interested or has a lead please pass it on. I appreciate it.
Jippy | Free Listening on SoundCloud

All you would have to do is put a request out here on this forum. Im sure there are guys who would mix for a reasonabe cost.

Damn, looking at your posts, you've been here for a while. Dont see any "Mix this for me, I'll pay you" threads though. :)

Dont know the section that would be best, but I do know you gotta ask to recieve. :)

Doesn't quite sound like 'rock n roll', but that cool cuz I work with many genres.

I'll bite. Send me the tracks for a tune and I'll see what I can do for ya man. First one free.

PM me for email address.

TBH...mixing any of those tracks would IMO be fairly easy...I mean, there's nothing there that presents a mixing problem.

I would just like to know if you think each of those songs is actually finished...that each one has all the elements you think it needs...all the tracks?
I ask this because they all sound like they have some basic tracks, but there should be more to really solidify them...but I'm not saying they have to...just that for me, for my mindset about songs and mixes, they could use some more ..."stuff".
They're kinda sparse and have an unfinished vibe...but again, that's me. You might feel they are just right as-is and only need the mixing polish.

If you premix to 6 stems, that would drive me nuts. It paints me into the corner before I even start.

You would probably get a better result from a mix engineer if you give them all the separate tracks, so that they don't have to work around your balances.

If you premix to 6 stems, that would drive me nuts. It paints me into the corner before I even start.

You would probably get a better result from a mix engineer if you give them all the separate tracks, so that they don't have to work around your balances.

Yep. All tracks or I would bow out.

Once I get tired of the song. It's done. If it were a professional endeavor, then I agree with you. I just want the mixes to have as much presence and clarity as is possible with low-level gear.

Ha ha. I wish I wrote better lyrics. I get the melodies in my head and whatever happens to be going on at that second ends up being the words.

Yep. All tracks or I would bow out.

I really hate the idea of someone else having to go though each track to try to figure out what the hell I was doing. It makes sense that it would be ideal to eq each guitar slightly different etc. etc. But can't you still do a lot with stereo eq plugins? And wouldn't it cut down the time and hassle of mixing considerably to have the tracks bounced down to the main elements?

The problem there is this. The person feels like the mix needs the assistance from a "proffessional ". So in essence, they don't trust their own abilities. Yet they offer up stems (submixes)

So how can this "proffessional" trust the submixes?

Like if you partially rebuild your motor, and then take it to a shop. Guaranteed the machinist is going want to redo your prior work. It's the only way he knows it's right.

Better to have the "professional" do it all

Mixing premixed stems would definitely save me time because I just wouldn't bother. If I'm mixing it then I'll decide what to do with each guitar. It might not be what you intended, but it might be better. Which is the whole point, to let someone circumvent your preconceptions.

There is a lot to be gained from learning to mix your own songs, and plenty of help here on the forum if you are willing to reciprocate.

So in re-reading through this whole thread, have you found any takers?

You get anyone to mix your project?

Or is it just us talking about the benefits or liabilities of mixing someone's stems?

:D

It's wouldn't be a matter of wanting to eq each guitar slightly differently, it's a matter of being able to rebalance the tracks.

For example, if you change the eq on the bass and add a ton of compression to it, it will affect how some of the guitar parts sit with it. Only having a clump of guitars to work with will be frustrating because it turns something easy (like turning down two rhythm tracks) into an hour long thing where I would try to use eq and compression to back off the parts that need to be backed off, without burying the parts that need to stay where they were.

If you give someone stems, they pretty much have to mix it the way you would have mixed it.

I routinely get songs to mix with 60+ tracks. Sifting though all that is part of the job. If you want to make it easier, label the tracks correctly. Instead of "guitar 1, guitar 2, guitar 3..." label them "main rhythm L, main rhythm R, bridge melody, etc..."

If I get 60 tracks that are labeled "track 1, track2, etc..." I have them resend it once they label it properly, or I charge them double.

All your comments make sense. I did find someone to mix a track for me, and I did leave all the parts on separate tracks. It was a very simple song though, so for other tracks I wanted to make it easier. I want to pay a somewhat decent rate per hour, and I can't afford to pay for an 8 hour session per song unfortunately. Wish I could.

---------- Update ----------

Totally! I've mixed most of my songs thus far and I'm glad to have gained the experience. I have less time these days though and I want to spend my time songwriting. Also, after mixing my own material I get really sick of it and lose perspective.

Ideally speaking, I totally agree with you. But in my case I do have some mixing experience, and I can't afford the ideal. I'm looking primarily for a balance in the overall sound and mastering. It's in trying to make the track loud that I feel I do the most damage. I don't have a lot of experience sending my songs for professional help, but I did have 1 track done where they made a big improvement in 1 hour. On a 60 track song you could easily spend an hour just figuring out what is what.

I totally respect the art in doing it right, when it's an option.

Back