What's your "to go" eq?

So like....if you press all the buttons, does it do your laundry too? :D

While it can obviously do all kinds of things....these are the types of plugs that get people more into trouble than out of trouble, IMO.
Way too many options and features that will leave most newbs simply guessin-n-pressin and thinking that they need to use as much of the plug with all its tricks in order to get the most out of it...when in the majority of cases, subtle/minimal EQ is what works best.

My favorite new EQ on the software side are plugs from Kush Audio.
No metering, no graphs or analyzers, and almost vague markings and minimal explanations...all intended to force you to simply listen to what the EQ is doing instead of being overwhelmed with GUI eye candy.
They are exceptionally sweet and musical...and actually fun to use, instead of like some math science project. :p

The other current EQ plugs I really like are the Maag Audio EQ4 and EQ2...but I also have the original hardware Maag EQ3D rack unit, when it was called NTI Nightpro EQ3D.

ahhh haaa after getting all "overwhelmed with GUI eye candy" it better do laundry too !

its like A1 on a steak..hell nooo! why mess with a perfectly good steak , just cook it with salt n pepper.. taste and steak..
yea i admit..i lost track of what i was eqing just playin with the colors har har, can't get nothin done! lol damn GUI's

Oh, you guys are terrible! LOL Greg L,.. I wish I'd thought of the double cheeseburger and onion rings first! But I digress. I agree with BroKen H in that when I need an EQ I use a 31 band unit. Ussually my Yamaha GQ1031 cause the sliders are easier to manipulate. I like the Alesis cause it looks so cool but the sliders are too low profile for me to easily move. Being 'Old School' I don't use plug-ins. All linear equipment. Otherwise I just EQ so stuff will fit better in the mix.

Last edited:
First FabFilter Pro Q2 to hear and carve out all offending frequencies. The Q2 is like a fine surgeon

Then either channel strip or UAD Pultecs

Oh, you guys are terrible! LOL Greg L,.. I wish I'd thought of the double cheeseburger and onion rings first! But I digress. I agree with BroKen H in that when I need an EQ I use a 31 band unit. Ussually my Yamaha GQ1031 cause the sliders are easier to manipulate. I like the Alesis cause it looks so cool but the sliders are too low profile for me to easily move. Being 'Old School' I don't use plug-ins. All linear equipment. Otherwise I just EQ so stuff will fit better in the mix.

Appreciate the vote, but you're not exactly agreeing with me. I love old school too, but my 31 band is a plug, and I've used it on a track only once when I had a really lousy vocal track that needed major attention. Automating faders up and down as the vocal notes changed, etc. Then I retracked the vocal and took out the 31 band. Figured if it needed that much surgery, might as well amputate and start over...do like a good 31 for final bus EQ, though. It's very smooth and subtle. Stick it in +/- 6dB mode and barely touch the frequencies up and down where necessary.

I haven't used a 1/3 octave eq on a studio mix since, well, ever. That Yamaha has a reputation of being a decent entry-level eq for live mixing but not particularly good. Even the most basic freeware eq plugin will outperform it.

Last edited:

I haven't used a 1/3 octave eq on a studio mix since, well, ever. That Yamaha has a reputation of being a decent entry-level eq but not particularly good. Even the most basic freeware eq plugin will outperform it.

Wait, are you guys talking about a GRAPHIC EQ? Holy cow, seriously?

I have one hardware graphic EQ in my racks, a DBX unit...it's been collecting dust for about 25 years! :D

I would have sold it off on eBay...but the most I would get for it is maybe $50..if that...so I use it as rack filler until I need another rack spot for something else. :)

The reason some "old school" home rec guys like them, is probably because when mixing OTB, it's the only way to *see* the FR curves they are creating... :p
...whereas in the DAW even with knob/parametric EQs, they always include a GUI representation of the FR curves.

Back when I was waiting for computer technology to catch up to my ambitions, recording to 4-track and then ADAT, and mixing through analog gear, I collected a number of graphic EQs almost exclusively because they all had HPFs in addition to the multiple bands, and it was the cheapest way to get that functionality at the time. Mostly the actual sliders sat flat all the way across. The purchase of the Ghost got me 32 HPFs, but I still used the graphics for a while on certain sources before they got even that far.

Cool, you record to reel to reel tape? What kind?
OK, take three since this site seems to see fit to 'log me out' every few minites. So this version is much simpler and shorter.
Rami, yes, been mostly using an old Sony reel to reel 4-track from late 60's or 70, I think. I rebuilt it, pinchroler, belts, graphite lube, ect.
But it has been stolen recently so I'm back to an old Fostex 4-track cassette. It's ok for rough draft, but I wouldn't want to master with it.
AND now for the techy Dudes and Dudettes: Yes, regarding linear vs digital, It can often be shown with a Z-axis oscilloscope (now a waveform visual or somethin) that there is a difference. But without ideal circumstances you can't hear the difference, And when done well, I prefer the warmth of analog.
There's lots more I'd like to add but the bottom line is that I'd rather practice and play than lose time from these to learn (again) in a different and ever changing digital format. If I can't hear the diff in anyones living room .. Ill be xx ifn I'll $$pay the difference.
Side note: I have a friend who has a $40,000 Analog system he built for playing vinyl ! A cool trapeese for the turntable (An engineer with No girlfriend or vices) Each stage is tubes! pre-amp power amp, even his own design of power conditioner. matching tube outputs and hand wound transformers.! listening to his first release/pressed records is better than ANY CD I've ever heard even in IDEAL circumstances.
It still all comes back to an excelling mix tho, the tune is only as good as the worst track.

Last edited:
I haven't used a 1/3 octave eq on a studio mix since, well, ever. That Yamaha has a reputation of being a decent entry-level eq for live mixing but not particularly good. Even the most basic freeware eq plugin will outperform it.

You may be right there.. 90% of my experience and my equipment use has been for live.
And OK, as much as I may gripe, my system while mostly linear DOES contain pieces of equipment from all five generations of electronics. Tubes to micro-processors.
So while I do have prefences, I don't completely limit my resources.

So while I do have prefences, I don't completely limit my resources.

We all have our preferences. I would find 4-track analog a limited resource. But then I've used 4-track cassette more than a little so I know how it compared to using a computer. I get the feeling your resistance to digital is fear of the unknown. That's not a put down, it's something I'm dealing with. I hate the idea of giving up my familiar old analog mixer and rack of gear for live work, but a 23lb digital mixer does way more than my 200lb rack. I just don't want to relearn live mixing.

It just dawned on my that the title of the thread is talking about take-out, "to-go" EQ...

...and we're all talking about our "go-to" EQ.

:D

Back