What's Up?

andrushkiwt

As I prepare to listen to yet another mix of my current project (I'm reaching as many mixdowns as I have tracks on the tune), I'm wondering what everyone is working on at the moment? Home project? Studio work? Something cool, or not so cool, that's paid? Song writing/arrangement for something you've written? The always-important-yet-overrated-lyrics to said song? What's up?

Howdy!

Since you asked... :listeningmusic:

For the last (almost) 2 years I've been rewriting a friend's song - done mostly in my head with a few spins on my acoustic to make sure things really sounded right and gelled where needed. I'll bet I'm on at least the 1100th revision. I cut out at least half his original lyrics and a couple of sections so I could turn it into a pop-rock tune - it's going to be somewhere between 3 1/2 and 4 minutes.

I'm just about ready to begin recording - I'll be playing all the parts (6-string rhythm, lead, bass, drums and vocals).

99EuyqD.jpg

I'm || this close to getting my Strat, so I'm waiting on that first.

After that I've got a back catalog of some 12 originals I need to record and send in for Copywright Registration, then I can start posting some stuff up here and on Soundcloud, etc.

Last edited:
I'm working on a song called "Bob's Country Breakdown".

I just finished tracking the rhythm guitar and there's one or two curly chords in there that had me wanting to put my guitar through the wall

:thumbs up:

As I prepare to listen to yet another mix of my current project (I'm reaching as many mixdowns as I have tracks on the tune), I'm wondering what everyone is working on at the moment? Home project? Studio work? Something cool, or not so cool, that's paid? Song writing/arrangement for something you've written? The always-important-yet-overrated-lyrics to said song? What's up?

Tons. Still have 7 or 8 of my own songs finished and waiting for vocals, and just finished yet another one.

Spending most of my time on my first client's album; 12 songs, 6 are recorded already, I'm just slowly finishing the mixes as we are tracking the rest of them. "Walking Alone" was the only one I posted.

I'm doing all the guitars, bass, synths, and programming of the drums with Superior 2.0, helping with arrangements, producing, engineering, and mixing. Crazy. One of the recent ones is a mellow track with 4 violins, a cello, acoustic, and harmony vocals. Was a crazy day the day all the string players came over to track, boy that was fun. I'll definitely be throwing that one up in the clinic soon. Heading into the studio now to attempt finishing the mix on an all-out rock track. (Yea, the album's all over the place genre-wise)

When I get the time and feel confident, I already know the next three of mine I'm doing the vocals for; a rock/rockabilly track, a soft rock 10,000 Maniacs type track, and a pop-country-ish track. All three are done and just waiting for my vocals...

Oh the misery of deciding what to work on every day when I go into the studio. Usually plan it out while laying in bed the night before, if I haven't already...

For the last (almost) 2 years I've been rewriting a friend's song...

... I'm just about ready to begin recording...

Is your buddy appearing on the recording?

He won't be on this first recording. I'll be sending the .WAV files to him - if he likes it I'm hoping he'll take over his lead vocal part and have his daughter add some harmonies. Maybe even add some keys.

He won't be on this first recording. I'll be sending the .WAV files to him - if he likes it I'm hoping he'll take over his lead vocal part and have his daughter add some harmonies. Maybe even add some keys.

Has he heard it since the time he originally gave it to you? Does he know you've rewritten it a billion times over? :)

Has he heard it since the time he originally gave it to you? Does he know you've rewritten it a billion times over? :)

He hasn't heard any of my versions yet - haven't even sent him any of the newer lyrics. He knows I'm rewriting it - I asked his permission first and he gave me free rein. I also told him I was coming up with new parts and versions every day and didn't know when the dust would settle. It ain't done 'til it's done, ya know.. The song has to tell me, and it's begining to whisper to me now.. :guitar:

Yep!

I don't know what the chord is. It's not a hard chord as such, it's just that going from the chord/ lick before it to the chord in question is a bit hairy.

This time of year is usually my 'no recording' time of year - windows open, or least storm windows open, so street noise becomes an issue. Doing final mix checks on my all the songs for mext album. Next up is listening in mono for phase problems, then a final check on my 5.1 system. Not rushing this one, planning on October release. Putting lyric videos together (2 released so far) for the songs.

This time of year is usually my 'no recording' time of year - windows open, or least storm windows open, so street noise becomes an issue. Doing final mix checks on my all the songs for mext album. Next up is listening in mono for phase problems, then a final check on my 5.1 system. Not rushing this one, planning on October release. Putting lyric videos together (2 released so far) for the songs.

Nice, Mike. Sending out for mastering?

Yep!

I don't know what the chord is. It's not a hard chord as such, it's just that going from the chord/ lick before it to the chord in question is a bit hairy.

I hear ya. My curly chord these days is the open Bm7 from the open E starting in the bridge in Boston's Amanda. It's my warm-up song and it's drivin' me nuts. My fingers can't get used to the note spacing. It's such a nice song though, I don't mind playin' it over and over anyway. After Amanda, I roll into Kicks by Paul Revere and the Raiders.

Back