Whats a great DAW software for recording?

best daw software for recording?

• Sonar

Votes: 75 14.0%
  • cubase

Votes: 99 18.5%
  • acid

Votes: 9 1.7%
  • adobe

Votes: 20 3.7%
  • pro tools (m-audio)

Votes: 67 12.5%
  • nuendo

Votes: 15 2.8%
  • logic

Votes: 77 14.4%
  • other (please specify)

Votes: 173 32.3%

• Total voters
I use Sonar Platinum... and love the workflow and organizational capabilities (I also run it on 3 monitors, which helps a lot).
My pet peeve is that there is not a keyboard shortcut for changing waveform amplitude on the selected portion of a track (have to invoke a gain plug-in processor).

If you do the research you'll find more Pro Tools users jumping ship to Studio One Professional than any other DAW. $399 but frequently on sale if you watch. It will do all the important things you get from PT but adds more capabilities too. I bought it for the integrated mastering suite that PT doesn't have. No iLock ... no license renewal ... no limitations. It's a no-brainer.

For me its been Protools or Studio One for recording, Ableton Live for production. But, I use a combination of these tools. for an example. I'll design a beat in Ableton Live then I'll Mix it in Protools. As a professional engineer, mixing in Protools is the best. The Overall work flow colors and design are the best.

For home studio stuff it doesn't matter. I see no advantage other than price for home based music making.

Pro Tools only for commercial contract jobs that require anything more than anything beyond music. Large enterprise companies (Disney, Warner, Sony, Skywalker, Universal, Technicolor etc...) will force you to convert. It is not optional. It is a reasonable expectation for mid-level independently owned post companies as well that you work in Pro Tools.

Nuendo currently has substantial advantages over every DAW for ADR, Dialogue, and Game Audio.

Personally, I like Ableton and Mainstage for live performance use. Also like Maschine as a sequencer. More comfortable with Sibelius than Finale, but both work fine there.

... will force you to convert. It is not optional. It is a reasonable expectation for mid-level independently owned post companies as well that you work in Pro Tools..

Really - that's interesting! Didn't know. As long as the basics are there, and implemented well, it might come down to who has the "best" package available, in terms of free/added things like synths, other instruments, including drum software, amp sims, etc... Studio One has a few good synth programs, and it comes bundled with Melodyne (at least it did when I picked it up in 2015). Looking into those added features is a good idea that many don't realize until after the fact.

I've tested most of them, but find Cubase the most powerful, transparent sounding, and the most powerful/advanced for midi editing. People say the summing engines all sound the same, but that's not what I heard when testing the out. Cubase sounded the best to me. I ran simple (ear) tests on all the Daws. My second favorite was Studio One. I love that daw in terms of layout, features, and functionality, except summing engine sounded off to me. Harrison Mixbus is cheap and is intriguing. In ten years that might be the best Daw, but it's a bit limited now.

Pro Tools only for commercial contract jobs that require anything more than anything beyond music. Large enterprise companies (Disney, Warner, Sony, Skywalker, Universal, Technicolor etc...) will force you to convert. It is not optional. It is a reasonable expectation for mid-level independently owned post companies as well that you work in Pro Tools.

I can understand why there would be that need if you were exchanging project files between others...but if your working the entire project, or if you only need to deliver audio files...I'm not seeing a need or reason that you would be forced to use Pro Tools.

I think many just use it over something else because it's become like some buzz-word, so that even those who are in the industry who have little to do with actual DAW work...will know the name "Pro Tools"...sorta like saying "McDonalds Quarter Pounder"...and everyone knows what you mean.
I just don't see why clients on the receiving end of *finished audio files* would be concerned that you used a specific DAW.

Though again...it it's a project that will be passed around to others to work on now...or later...then I understand the preference for one DAW app for the sake of compatibility and portability.

Really - that's interesting! Didn't know.
Yeah...I've found thats pretty much the way it goes. You will only find Pro Tools in large studios...You can be quite confident that all major facilities across the world are running Avid. Some are running Fairlight/Blackmagic rigs concurrently with ProTools, but they will never hire a non-avid user to work there. But that's only the major ones. I've seen some smaller companies in Europe run Sequoia...I think its a pretty capable platform, but like....Studio One and Logic completely lack basic features needed to handle anything more than a music mix. But that's what Studio One and Logic were built for, and in my opinion they're quite capable of fulfilling that task.

As long as the basics are there, and implemented well, it might come down to who has the "best" package available,
So the basics are going to come down to the application. Right? As far as commercial media facilities are concerned, Apple and Presonus intentionally left out editing and workflow necessities found in Pro Tools HD and Nuendo because its a different market. Apple has no intention of competing in this space because its too small and niche, and it doesn't fit anywhere in the overall direction of that company. Presonus will never develop into this market because their hardware niche is the end-user consumer space, but I feel they do a great job competing in that market. Both have extended their ability to reach the pro user end of the music market, but they both companies seem to have decided to cap their market reach at the professional music user.

Last edited:
I can understand why there would be that need if you were exchanging project files between others...but if your working the entire project, or if you only need to deliver audio files...I'm not seeing a need or reason that you would be forced to use Pro Tools.
What it comes down to is if you are hired to work for one of these companies, you will be working on the gear that is in the facility.

The reason you will only find Pro Tools in a major studio is because of workflow and project management. And it has a lot more to do with features than just file exchange. Even if the project is kept in house, at a major studio facility, all operators need to be cross trained to work in all rooms within the facility and the hardware across multi room stations needs to be synchronized, networked, and managed under a standardized system. That system can not consist of anything but Avid because Avid is the only manufacturer in the world with the technology solutions needed to accommodate an integrated workflow on the scale of a commercial audio post studio.

I think many just use it over something else because it's become like some buzz-word, so that even those who are in the industry who have little to do with actual DAW work...will know the name "Pro Tools"...sorta like saying "McDonalds Quarter Pounder"...and everyone knows what you mean.
I just don't see why clients on the receiving end of *finished audio files* would be concerned that you used a specific DAW.

Though again...it it's a project that will be passed around to others to work on now...or later...then I understand the preference for one DAW app for the sake of compatibility and portability.
Again, there's a lot of smaller guys using whatever. But in the major audio facilities across the globe, the Avid branding notion is actually the opposite of what you'd assume from the indie market. None of the production companies that sub-contract a post facility give a flying fuck what system they use. None of them care, they simply hire the facility because of what they know the facility of capable of producing. So it really is the facilities choice, but they are all choosing to work in Pro Tools because again, Avid is the only tech company in the world that makes gear capable of accommodating a large studio workflow.

What it comes down to is if you are hired to work for one of these companies, you will be working on the gear that is in the facility.

I was referring to your comment about independently owned studios...and not if you are hired to work in a facility which is already ensconced in Pro Tools (which would obviously require you to work with it).

If an independent studio is paid to deliver a finished product...not sure it will matter what gear was used, but I know some clients might be hung up about your choice gear, rather than just focusing on the finished product.

I was referring to your comment about independently owned studios...and not if you are hired to work in a facility which is already ensconced in Pro Tools (which would obviously require you to work with it).

If an independent studio is paid to deliver a finished product...not sure it will matter what gear was used, but I know some clients might be hung up about your choice gear, rather than just focusing on the finished product.

If you're a small enough studio that you don't need the post-production features which are only found in Pro Tools, and you're also the responsible for the final deliverable, then I'd agree with you there. I guess you can mix with whatever you want. I imagine some guys who really want to fly under the radar and don't aspire to do any commercial mixing work could somehow mangle Studio One or Ableton into doing mixing work that neither were designed to do. But it would be so frustrating and limiting that I don't see the point in not learning Pro Tools or Nuendo. Again, a DAW like Studio One is just a bad choice for anything requiring a higher level of features than a music mix. But if you're doing post, and you absolutely despise Avid, then since both Pro Tools HD and Nuendo are way out of the price range for a studio that small anyway, my suggestion would be to buy a copy of Digital Performer for $500 and at least give yourself a fighting chance.

I'm not trashing Studio One. Its a very good DAW, but only when used for what it was intended for. Same with Reaper. It is not a viable alternative to Pro Tools HD for anything beyond a stereo music mix.

If you're a small enough studio that you don't need the post-production features which are only found in Pro Tools, and you're also the responsible for the final deliverable, then I'd agree with you there. I guess you can mix with whatever you want. I imagine some guys who really want to fly under the radar and don't aspire to do any commercial mixing work could somehow mangle Studio One or Ableton into doing mixing work that neither were designed to do. But it would be so frustrating and limiting that I don't see the point in not learning Pro Tools or Nuendo. Again, a DAW like Studio One is just a bad choice for anything requiring a higher level of features than a music mix. But if you're doing post, and you absolutely despise Avid, then since both Pro Tools HD and Nuendo are way out of the price range for a studio that small anyway, my suggestion would be to buy a copy of Digital Performer for $500 and at least give yourself a fighting chance.

I'm not trashing Studio One. Its a very good DAW, but only when used for what it was intended for. Same with Reaper. It is not a viable alternative to Pro Tools HD for anything beyond a stereo music mix.

I don't know why Studio One or Reaper were assumed...though I probably would agree with your perspectives, but I wasn't looking for suggestions (though I assume you're using the word "you" in a general sense to anyone reading this), since I already have what I consider a serious DAW application if you're at all familiar with the Magix Samplitude/Sequoia apps.
Over on the Magix forum, we've seen more than one Pro Tools user in the past switch over, and then be amazed at what they were missing...but I think these days everyone is trying to copy features functionality from everyone else...so the playing field is leveling.

... everyone is trying to copy features functionality from everyone else...so the playing field is leveling.

Which is why I'm saying ppl should look at things like stock plugins, synths, and other instruments that come bundled with it. That's where the difference is made up, IMO. Like Melodyne with Studio One - that's a money saver, right there.

I don't know why Studio One or Reaper were assumed...
I was citing them as an example of a different category of DAW. Namely two that are outfitted with features for the musician market and not really anyone else.

I assume you're using the word "you" in a general sense to anyone reading this
For clarification I was.

I already have what I consider a serious DAW application if you're at all familiar with the Magix Samplitude/Sequoia apps.

Those are two different DAWs as far as I'm concerned, even more-so than Cubase and Nuendo are, and I'd happily grant that both of them 'serious' DAWs. I'm pretty familiar with Sequoia though I don't use it. It has a ton of INSANE features and strengths. Its also Euconized which means that you can run it with Avids hardware which is definitely a plus for commercial use. It also has a nice hand-shake with the Vegas video gear which is real important too.

Over on the Magix forum, we've seen more than one Pro Tools user in the past switch over, and then be amazed at what they were missing...
I can certainly understand that. To keep things in perspective, it goes both ways. Its been interesting to see people on my end graduate to the PT HD world and with no previous idea of how important it was to be working from inside an Avid system network. They had no idea what a Logic rig was incapable of doing until they saw what an Avid rig CAN do. Mostly because they've never needed the features until they started doing commercial media work.

I do see a lot of people jumping ship in the indie recording scenes. Avid does have a knack for making sure it retains its fair share of pissed off ex customers. However, past a certain income point it seems people stop talking about this because they know they're gonna be working on all Avid systems for as long as they wish to continue working in major production houses so they just get over it.

but I think these days everyone is trying to copy features functionality from everyone else...so the playing field is leveling.

This is true for a music DAW. Audio production DAWs start to diversify. And really, Nuendo at this point has a ton of things setting it apart from Avid. As does Sequoia as a broadcaster DAW.

Speaking of the playing field...If I was Avid, I would be REAL fucking concerned about DaVinci version 15. Those guys and Yamaha are in a prime position to hand Avid an enormous ass kicking if Avid doesn't be careful. I went through and read the risk mitigation section in the business model portion of Avids shareholder report a few months ago. They're not oblivious to some of these other companies that are gearing up to challenge their monopoly on the high end audio market.

Which is why I'm saying ppl should look at things like stock plugins, synths, and other instruments that come bundled with it. That's where the difference is made up, IMO. Like Melodyne with Studio One - that's a money saver, right there.

Well, as far as I know, Studio One comes with Melodyne Essential. Which is the $100 basic version. I think the upgrade to the full program with the maximum potential of it is an upgrade of $399. Not much money saved there in the end if you want to use Melodyne's best transparent abilities.

Just throwing that out there.

Not sure I get your point. Cubase has a pitch editor that is similar to Melodyne Essential built in. (Variaudio) It really only good for a tweak of a single note. Maybe... Good for basic needs but not even close to what the full version of the Melodyne program is capable of.

Don't get me wrong, if the basic program works for you then by all means go with that. It just is another level when you have the full version.

I am not saying you have to spend the money to get better results. I just do know that it is necessary for myself. I hate using this but I'm going to. YMMV. (Your Mileage May Vary).

The amount of control (or sometimes more necessary is the ability to 'fine' tune things within a track) is what sets the full version apart.

Yeah, most do not need the ability to change one single note in a guitar chord (which Melodyne full version can do), but more the nuances of a performance.

The basic pitch correction of any is worthy. Nothing does it naturally and transparent like the full version of Melodyne. It is almost creepy how good it works...

Good lord, I sound like a rep selling it... Sorry, that not what I meant. I just saying you can't base judgment on the full version by using the LE or free version of anything.

things like stock plugins, synths, and other instruments that come bundled with it. That's where the difference is made up, IMO.

If I were to switch gears here and comment on the home studio user side of this for a sec, I had to sit here for a sec and imagine how I'd pick a DAW if I was using it as a hobbyist.

Assuming I know what I know about DAWs, but was only intending to use it for home base music creation, saving money would probably be a priority for me. But time is a much more valuable commodity than cash. I'm glad you mentioned this because I don't think anyone's ever challenged me to really think about it, but I would probably end up using Digital Performer because of the depth of the feature set. I wouldn't pay the $500 over the $70 for Reaper or the $200 for Logic but I would probably pay $300 by petitioning Motu for a competitive cross grade.

I do highly prefer the autotuner built into Cubase over the one in Logic. But I don't know that the autotuner feature or the stock VI library outweighs a deeper layer of DAW functionality even for music production. I think the collective feature set would determine this for me even if hobbyist music was all I was doing. Its pretty hard to imagine only having one DAW, but what I did was rule them out one by one. And I think DP was the most sensible one for me based on that. But again, that's only for me. Interesting thoughts though!!

Back