Whats a great DAW software for recording?

best daw software for recording?

• Sonar

Votes: 75 14.0%
  • cubase

Votes: 99 18.5%
  • acid

Votes: 9 1.7%
  • adobe

Votes: 20 3.7%
  • pro tools (m-audio)

Votes: 67 12.5%
  • nuendo

Votes: 15 2.8%
  • logic

Votes: 77 14.4%
  • other (please specify)

Votes: 173 32.3%

• Total voters
Although the newest iterations of it aren't to my liking (cloud storage and rental fees) I still think that for live recordings Pro Tools is still the simplest and most flexible live recording DAW out there. What it does it does well and once you get some of the shortcuts down it's really fast to edit with. I don't think it's the best compositional tool out there, but doing multiple takes and the comping features make it stand out for me. If you do a bit of film scoring there is a precise editor for adding sound to picture too.
The other thing about Pro Tools is that pretty much every studio will have it. If you compose your music in another program you can always put the stems into pro tools after and pretty much be guaranteed to be able to record, mix or edit in any studio you go to. Not saying that Pro Tools is the best, but it would be a good idea to learn it or own it if you want to take your music to someone else studio. Pretty much all producers and engineers that I know know how to use it whereas the same can't be said for pretty much any other DAW.

I have no idea which is best. I use Reaper and it seems to be working. As a technophobe, I hate learning new software unless I must, so I'll probably stick with it.

Looking right back to the start of this topic, there is a flaw. What is the best ...... for $500. The best is the best. The price barrier means that it won't be the best, it will be the best for $X, and that's not the same thing. Best value, best performance, best for a new user, best for an experienced recordist - all we're doing is saying our favourite, and pointing out flaws or missing elements in others. Maybe we should run these things the other way around. Point out missing features that one platform doesn't have, that others do? Nobody ever does that do they? I use Cubase - always have done since black and white days on an Atari, so familiarity and speed keep me on it. Same with Adobe for images and video. I don't know what I'm missing?

I think I try every DAW on the market, but never find what I like, but about a month ago, a friend told me about Mixbus.?? Harrison Mixbus..?? have never heard about that DAW. but he let me try it,
and now I'm Home... that was what I want, after all this years of fighting, whit a lot of hard learned DAW's
Ah I must tell, I ONLY Mix mastering today, I stop play two years ago. so for me it is Harrison Mixbus.
check it out, it is a fantastic good sounding DAW.

I use Sonar Platinum because it comes with everything I need. A great set of instruments, a slew of pretty good plugins, a very nice channel strip and Melodyne and Addictive Drums, all in the box. Izotope's Ozone 6 is the only add on that I've purchased, but Sonar has the tools in the box to get it done without Ozone. It's all good.

Btw, my first post!

Best daw for recording is the one that's not there. When I used an 8 track, forget it- hit arm buttons and record. No booting, no stutter, no drivers, just turn it on and go. Punch in/out with a jog dial, super easy. Now mixing on that thing. . . it didn't lol

Depends on what you are trying to accomplish! I mix and record in Cubase 8. But I was really impressed with Presonus Studio One. When its on sale its really cheap and pretty powerful! They even paired up with Melodyne which makes it an easy choice for those looking to record as a hobby. For mastering people often use Sequoia... different workflows for different jobs!

I first started on pro tools.
But I moved to Reaper because of its performance and stability. Not to mention its easy set up and easy workflow.

I personally don't think it really matters which DAW you use. Every DAW has has roughly the same possibilities nowadays. It all has to do with a personal preference. I've been working with Ableton Live for years, for the main reason it improves my personal workflow the most. This can be completely different for someone else. Just try every DAW a little and than decide with one made you work the fastest

I have always used ProTools and find it pretty darn easy. But I have been forcing myself to use Logic for three reasons. Very easy to use drum tracks. Super easy comping of multi-take tracks. Great pre-set sounds chains for guitar, with an awesome amp and stomp box modeler built it, On the other hand, I find the actual cut and past editing in logic non-intuitive. And I have yet to make sense of the time adjust features.

All of my recordings are accomplished in either Magix Samplitude Pro X2 Suite, Presonus Studio One 3 Professional or MOTU Digital Performer 9.

I enjoy using all three of them, which has caused me to be unable to select just one DAW.

Sorry that I already posted in this, but I figured I'd like to bump up my response by typing it again. Any daw that works with your creativity is a good daw. There's no right or wrong answer. Nobody is going to listen to a recording based on what software tools you used, if the music speaks to them. Go with what works the way you like to work, because if you're having fun with it, then it'll reflect in the final product.

I consider Studio One to be a good DAW, i've used Cuabase 6.5 for many years. Before i bought Studio One i considered upgrading 6.5 to 8, but the price for upgrading now is more or less something i cannot afford

I use Sonar Platinum and Adobe Audition CS6. Both have features that the other one doesn't, so having both gives me lots of audio tools to work with. I know both are a bit pricey, but the bang for the buck is very good for what you get. I love having these tools on my computer. They both have lot's of extras that really are great. Sound samples, drum programs, step sequencer, midi recording, effects, ... lots of extras !!

Back