Whats a great DAW software for recording?

best daw software for recording?

• Sonar

Votes: 75 14.0%
  • cubase

Votes: 99 18.5%
  • acid

Votes: 9 1.7%
  • adobe

Votes: 20 3.7%
  • pro tools (m-audio)

Votes: 67 12.5%
  • nuendo

Votes: 15 2.8%
  • logic

Votes: 77 14.4%
  • other (please specify)

Votes: 173 32.3%

• Total voters
Reaper fanboy. It does so many things so well. I hunted for some great freeware VSTs, and I've got enough to track and mix with.

Years of recording experience on VS systems, I finally switched to Logic Pro. $200.00 bucks gets a good bang for the buck and it is extremely intuitive to use. Is it as good as a $1000.00 DAW?, I don't know and I don't care. For recording jingles, private songs and Cues for commercials, it works just fine. How it works recording live bands I will never know.

MY OPINION: For someone just starting out, I'd start with Logic, and then grab some Waves plugins (Stellar quality).
Reason being, to me the quality of plugins is very important - perhaps more important than the DAW - IF YOU ARE STARTING OUT
(Also, bang for the buck, especially for production, you can't beat what you get for $200 with Logic)

For me, I need Pro Tools..... for a large number of reasons , and I work in the industry full time.
I also have Logic, and I don't use it a lot, but when I do I only use it for electronic production - not recording, editing, or mixing.

It's like asking., "what's the best car on the road?". Or, What's the best detergent? The best petrol, the best carpentry tools etc..etc.... At the end of the day, and as always, you get what you pay for 98% of the time. Who has the time and money to use every DAW out there to it's fullest capacity just to decide which one to use all the time? Each have their own learn curve and most have everything necessary to do the job. If you're just starting out recording audio and MIDI and want high-end sounds included in the package, plenty of support, continual upgrades and updates to the system, any one of three from the top sellers will work.

Unless of course, you just like switching DAW platforms because you can't actually sit and do the thinking work involved in making one work for you. Sometimes you just have to make a choice and stick with it. What if, in an international survey Steinberg/Yamaha's Cubase moved into the "INDUSTRY STANDARD" position taking away Avid's ProTools from the lead? Don't you think people would be jumping the PT ship and going with Cubase? I bet they would. And mostly for pretentious reasons.

No wait.... I'll have what she's having... No wait! I'll take an Acid for tracking, a Cubase for MIDI editing, a ProTools for audio recording, a Logic for symphonic and orchestral tracking, Reaper for mastering etc..etc...etc......

How can a guy get any work done around here?

If you're just starting out recording audio and MIDI and want high-end sounds included in the package, plenty of support, continual upgrades and updates to the system, any one of three from the top sellers will work.

As always, the best one is the one you know how to use...

In the last 12 yearsb i have used, Cool Edit Pro, Pro Tools, Sonar, Ableton, Nuendo and Reaper. I settled on Reaper and i was sold on it after about 3 hours of tinkering with it. I doubt i will look for another DAW anytime soon.

In the last 12 yearsb i have used, Cool Edit Pro, Pro Tools, Sonar, Ableton, Nuendo and Reaper. I settled on Reaper and i was sold on it after about 3 hours of tinkering with it. I doubt i will look for another DAW anytime soon.

I am currently using Sonar Platinum. I have the full version of Reaper but it didn't take me away from Sonar. I also have the full version of Pro Tools 11, and Sonar is still the DAW I go to. It does everything I need it to do. I got the others to take a look and although it is fun to check them out and play with them (I did a few projects on PT and one or two on Reaper) I still go back to Sonar if the job really matters...

The DAW you love to use.... that's the best one for you

I used cakewalk up to Home Studio. Then I fell in love with the flow and the reality of Reason. The mixer page is a digital 9000J, the rack actually looks like a rack and can be turned around so you can rewire the order or use CVs etc. The sequencer is amazing. Only problem is the lack of support for third party plugs. You can only use the ones from Propellerhead...so far.

I used cakewalk up to Home Studio. Then I fell in love with the flow and the reality of Reason. The mixer page is a digital 9000J, the rack actually looks like a rack and can be turned around so you can rewire the order or use CVs etc. The sequencer is amazing. Only problem is the lack of support for third party plugs. You can only use the ones from Propellerhead...so far.

That's one of the nice things about Sonar - it's support for a huge range of plugins. Most of mine are from Waves but also from SoundToys, Blue Cat, Steven Slate, iZotope, Brainworx, SLN, Flux, Nomad and many more. 538 plugins, pretty much anything I need.

I agree. Use the one that is most comfortable for you in terms of doing what you want/need to do. I used pro tools for a while. Then I picked up an AudioBox that came with Studio One (and melodyne and ez drummer). Fast forward, and I now use S1 Pro as well as the top versions of Melodyne and EZ Drummer - bunches of other plug ins as well. I'm not claiming anything other than it works for me from start to finish with a terrific end product, by all accounts.

Back