Whats a great DAW software for recording?

best daw software for recording?

• Sonar

Votes: 75 14.0%
  • cubase

Votes: 99 18.5%
  • acid

Votes: 9 1.7%
  • adobe

Votes: 20 3.7%
  • pro tools (m-audio)

Votes: 67 12.5%
  • nuendo

Votes: 15 2.8%
  • logic

Votes: 77 14.4%
  • other (please specify)

Votes: 173 32.3%

• Total voters

bryank

there are so many DAW softwares on the market now! Sonar 5, Logic, Cubase, Nuendo, adobe, ETC....ETC.....

so what is everyone using and why? and what is considered to be the "mother load"/best software currently on the market today?

i see the price range is averaging around $500, but then theres Nuendo 3.1 which is over $1000.............so with all things considered....do ya get what ya pay for? and what do you guys think is the "best" DAW software currently?

opps...i failed to mention on the list (poll).......

Reason
abelton
sound forge
melodyne

theres so many out there now!!!!

I use Sonar for it's flexibility, ease of use, cool features, and editing capabilities.

Nuendo is an awesome program, but I haven't had enough time with it to completely figure it out...seems like a steeper learning curve IMO

no samplitude, no sadie, no saw studio, no sequoia, no pyramix??

Sequoia and Samplitude for me. a league of their own....

adobe audition 2.0. i first started out with really old versions of cool edit pro and just kept sticking with it over the years until it turned into adobe audition 2.0. at first i completely hated the new interface but now with it's ridiculous simplicity, flexibility, smoothness along with my 4 UAD-1 cards/plugins, it rules.

Every package mentioned has it's pros and cons.

The best software is the one that gives you the most efficient workflow and the easiest time taking an idea to the finished master stage.

What works for me may not work for anyone else, but for what it's worth I work in Reason and Live primarily and FL and Tracktion secondarily, using each for their strong points.

Or what I think are their strong points...

I'm not going to choose an option in the poll, as there is no ONE best option. I have extensive experience with three of those pieces of software so I will use those to prove my point.

It depends what you want to do with the software, for example if you are working with mostly MIDI then I prefer Logic, but I find Logic lacking (to say the least) when it comes to recording live instruments.

If you plan to be recording live instruments and have little involvement with MIDI then pro tools is your best bet, although 8 has much better MIDI functionality it still isn't great.

Cubase in my opinion is a good middle ground, it is good at MIDI and recorded audio.

Please feel free to disagree with me though, as I am hardly an expert.

Ardour - 'nuff said.

I messed with this on linux awhile ago and it wasn't too bad for an open source application. The only ding is it doesn't natively support VSTs. You have to find the specific vst libraries and recompile the software yourself to get around the licensing issues. May not be a big deal for some but if you happen to be a bunch of pot somkin’ musicians...dude :D:eek:;)

why do you like it?

I tried 10SE...just couldn't get on with it..maybe I need to give it another shot

The feature set for one. I know there are many choices for DAWs and they all pretty much have or do similar features but for me, the workflow, the stability of the application and the "quality of the sound (I know very subjective)” I’ve gotten out of Samplitude is why its my personal choice. I'm sure others have the same feeling about what the use as well.

I don't believe it does everything the best but then again, I don't think any DAW does "everything". I record mostly audio with limited midi applications and the program has been a rock solid performer on limited PC hardware.

I will also say I had considered Pro Tools at one point but that application comes with limited track counts (albeit, you to buy additional capability) but worse than that (IMO) it locks you into specific hardware. I chose to go with Samplitiude Pro and have had no regrets.

Here’s a link to some tutorial vides if you’re interested.
http://www.samplitude.com/en/community/tutorial_videos/introduction.326.html

Windows Sound Recorder is hands down the best recording package in the world.

It's all about personal workflow.

However, I'd be tempted to say that Pro Tools is the worst value for money given the extra cash you have to fork over to 'upgrade' it to have the functionality of its rivals.

And when the subject of value for money becomes a factor, I'd say Reaper was the 'best'. Even though I use Cubase.

Back