What are the things I need to do to hook my Mixer to my computer CORRECTLY?

Scenario2G

I have had the small 8 channel behringer mixer for quite some time and I think i have had it hooked up to the computer wrong all this time!

My goal is to record vocals through the mixer and also hear the beat through the headphones without the mixer recording the beat also. The beat i would be playing is coming from the computer. I bielive i had it hooked up the wrong way because I had the line out from the computer goin into the tape in of the mixer and my studio monitors in the tape out and whevenever i wanted the beat to go into the headphones i would push a button on the mixer that said "to mix or to control room". I have been told several times this is not the correct way to hook it up. If someone could tell me all the cords i would need and the way to do this would be appreciated because I still cant find out how to do it! The soundcard I have is the Sound Blaster Live Platinum and Live Drive (I record on the Live Drive) and the mixer i have upgraded to is the Behringer Mx2442a 20 channel mixer...CAN SOMEONE PLEASEE HELP ME!!! ! !

Plug from the lineout of your soundcard (Beat from computer) to the rca tape input on the mixer.

Then on the mixer it should have next to the master volume 2TK to MIX. Make sure that is switched off. This won't allow what is coming through the rca input through the main mix.

Then come out through the rca outputs into your in on your soundcard. You'll need an rca to 1/2 plug

For your monitors plug them out of the control room outs not the rca out. The volume that controls the control room is the one that controls the headphones too.

Its making sense but i have one more question....

You said the volume that controls the monitors control the headphones too.... When I record in the booth, I only want to hear the beat in the headphone and not out the monitors..IS THAT POSSIBLE? thanks.

If I understood you right you just want to hear the beat through
the headphones and not the monitors at the same time.

Because the headphones and monitors are controlled by the same volume control you'll have to turn down the volume on your MONITORS or unplug them from the back of the mixer.

Hope that helps

CYA
Tukkis

Yes that helped alot.... I am planning on buying the cords and hoping this works...sounds like it tho...Thanks a bunch.

Back