What monitors do you use?

What monitors do you use?

• Total voters
I'm running 308s in a smaller room so you certainly could. As for which to use i would say it depends on the genre you will be mixing. I am using a sub with my setup to be able to get a better idea of the very bottom but i know a lot of peeps dont use a sub with the 308. On the other hand , the 305 and 306 benefit more from a sub. The smaller will be loud enough for the new room setup IMHO, just low frequency light. They are very different from consumer speakers as far as imaging,etc. , so be ready for a learning process no matter which you choose. A lot of time spent listening to commercial releases that you know well will be in order.

I do use AR2ax speakers for the stereo. Been going strong for decades.
My roommate in college and I had AR-5s and 2axs (can't remember the exact differences and which of us had which!). A couple of Dynaco preamps and amps we made from kits. EVERYBODY was over to listen to music at our apartment :). I miss that stuff.

I think that one can certainly use any excellent set of stereo speakers to mix with.....hopefully combined with the same or better quality amplifier. I've heard mixes through Denon and Yamaha amps and high quality speakers....and to be honest.....they served the purpose very well. I happen to use a set of JBL 305's and a set of Tannoy 501a's for my work. I switch between them because they deliver slightly different presentations of the final product. IMO the JBL's deliver accurate enough bass.......and the Tannoys are beyond clear. As with all monitors / speakers of quality........it comes down to your complete familiarity with their output......learned over considerable time by hearing a wide range of material you are familiar with and understanding how your input translates.

And.....on the subject of headphones. I'll say up front that IMO tried and true near fields should always translate to good headphone play. And.......not long ago I would not have advocated for much mixing on headphones......except for checking detail work and perhaps bottom end.......as my experience has shown that headphone mixing does not easily translate to good speaker results. However.....that being said........lots of experience mixing on excellent cans is similar IMO to the monitor experience. Familiarity is the key. I've done it myself with good results.

I added the Kali -LP 6's to my other monitors and so far i'm enjoying them. They kind of remind me a little bit of a better sounding NS10

I have a pair of Focal CMS40s, a single Avantone MixCube taking a mono feed, and a pair of higher-end computer speakers (plastic boxes) sitting alongside each other. The Avantone is great for setting levels, the Focals (or headphones) for surgical work, and the computer speakers are a good reality check near the end of a mixing session, especially when listened to at high volume from outside the room!

This thread is so old I couldn't find my original post. So I've probably upgraded twice since then.

The Genelec 1029's with the 1091 sub have moved into the living room and have become part of the home theater. So they do get used as reference for mixes.

The Tannoy System 8's have moved to my son-in-laws studio along with the ancient Crown that powered them.

I can't afford ATC SCM25's, but thats what I would get if I could.

I track through a pair of Sundholm Engineering 6.5 passives with a customized Parasound 1000 amp and I mix through a pair of Neumann KH120's. I used to have a very old and high end BIC sub but I found it caused more work than needed in the mixing so it went away. It took me nearly a year to learn the KH120's but now they are what I want to hear.

Since 2018 I have upgraded again. I now have a "new" (slightly used) set of Sundholm Acoustics 6.5's. You may ask what is the "upgrade here" ...The first pair were the very first set he built with the waveguide tweeter. Since these were the beta set, the waveguide was modeling clay. This new set was built for their previous owner who did classical music and they have every upgrade possible....super wire, gold plated everything, high fidelity crossover....in short they are incredible. I loved the old ones but these are three steps above. Guess I won't need those STCs after all. Still loving the Neumanns

Back