What are the levels of compressor 1 and compressor 2 that be done for a vocal track?

semsem612

Hi Dears, I've read that making two compressors for a vocal track before and after the EQ. makes the voice to sound good, but i want to know the levels of the ratio, attack, release ......etc for each of the two compressors. thanks a lot.

I.. would look to doing ..both pre compressor gain leveling, and post (fader) leveling (usually) way before I looked at ..ok, in around or during even the first compressor.
Typically.. get rid of / deal with any really gross eq issues' that might actually effect the compressors detector, then the leveling automation, all the bigger moves. Then compressor's job is easy load for the finesse'/sound/style of it. Maybe an eq after.
(I guess one 'wham bham slam thought is a fast comp first to catch the big stray peaks (to easy the load so the next doesn't have to deal with them), the a slower 'leveling comp. I don't go there. The leveling' does.
Good evening dear' ;)

Last edited:
I would prefer the opposite: One compression with two EQs, one on either side. That way you can do subtractive EQ first, cutting out unwanted frequencies so that they don't get compressed (and thus made even more noticeable), then additive EQ after so that the frequencies you want to boost don't get squashed back down by a compressor.

But there are no rules. You're asking for: Try a first compressor to tame the transients, setting the threshold where just the loudest peaks hit it, with 2-4:1 ratio and a fast attack and release to get 1-3db of transient compression. Then do your additive and subtractive EQ all in one go (if you have enough bands). Then another compressor with a low 1.5-2.5 ratio and the threshold set so that it is always active, with slow attack and release (25ms, 250ms or so), for overall leveling (squashing).

But I would prefer a combination of compression and level automation to using two compressors. At least that would be my first attempt. But there are times I've used EQ, then compression, then EQ, then limiting on a vocal track. There really are no rules. Everything depends on the particular track and what the song calls for.

I would prefer the opposite: One compression with two EQs, one on either side. That way you can do subtractive EQ first, cutting out unwanted frequencies so that they don't get compressed (and thus made even more noticeable), then additive EQ after so that the frequencies you want to boost don't get squashed back down by a compressor.

But there are no rules.

I also agree with this... Good advice. As far as compression ratios and setting go, it is totally dependent on the song and the effect you are going for. Crush the vocals and they seem to be more in your face but you will likely have to deal with breathing and de-essing

For most anything else, I prefer two EQs and one compressor, but usually with vocals, I'll put my EQ first, and then run that through an LA-2A, and then through an 1176.

Unfortunately, the LA-2A is a "one knob" compressor, so I'm not sure what the attack/release for that is... And then the 1176 just has attack and release. So if I were to tell you how I compress with those, it's just the LA-2A to taste, and then the 1176 has a fast attack and release to just get rid of any transients that the LA-2A missed (usually, I have it set to around 6 on attack, and always to 7 on release for that).

But like everyone else is saying, there's no hard and fast rules. You can have one EQ and one compressor, two EQs and one compressor, two compressors and one EQ, two of both, or heck, you could load your entire channel strip with compressors and EQs if it ends up sounding good in the end. To be honest, the most I usually need is three at any given time (one EQ/two compressors, two EQ (one before, one after the compressor) and one compressor), but I can usually get what I need to with just a single EQ and single compressor.

I like a multiband compressor first shaving off no more than 2-3 dbs, then a channel strip with EQ and compression

I can't believe you guys are actually giving this guy advice on compression without ever hearing his tracks. Every track is different. How do you know that his tracks even need compression or EQ at all? ...much less two of them.

To the OP...you really should learn to properly use a compressor before expanding into double-application techniques. There are plenty of articles and tutorial vids all over the Internet. I would start there followed by experimentation. The answers will come to you with practice. Good luck.

I can't believe you guys are actually giving this guy advice on compression without ever hearing his tracks. Every track is different. How do you know that his tracks even need compression or EQ at all? ...much less two of them.

Captain obvious here.

Since he didn't post clips, we're all giving general advice of what WE do. I'm sure the OP is smart enough to use his ears, try out what we've suggested, and then decide for himself if the end result is a good or bad one.

I'm sure the OP is smart enough to use his ears, .

I'm not. N00bs don't know how to do jack shit, so instead of actually trying things they litter the forum with inane questions that they could just figure out for themselves, but won't. And since everyone is eager to be the hero and talk about "what they do" they overload the n00b with bad or impractical advice that pretty much always goes way over his head and gets him into doing things that don't actually need to be done.....like thinking they need two compressors on a vocal track because they "read it somewhere"......probably in a thread like this one.

...we're all giving general advice of what WE do...

That's my point. I feel that it is nearly impossible to give general advice on EQ or compression settings. I approach EQ and compression only as tools to correct problems. How can you tell a guy what to correct without first having heard his problems? That's like telling a rookie dentist to just start drilling into the patient's teeth without knowing if those teeth even have cavities.

I don't simply apply EQ and compression to everything the same way every time. I give every track its own "custom" settings based on what is needed. But then, I didn't butt-in to start a battle. I am merely offering my thoughts. Carry on.

Hi Dears, I've read that making two compressors for a vocal track before and after the EQ. makes the voice to sound good, but i want to know the levels of the ratio, attack, release ......etc for each of the two compressors. thanks a lot.

That's exactly what I am doing here.

The first compressor (FET Style compressor) is a bit more aggressive and cuts some peaks.

The 2nd one is used for some gentle leveling.

You can check out this on 32:00 min, for a live example of how it sounds:

Back