What am I doing wrong?

jamking

I cannot get the bass drum and bass guitar to sound decent. I'm using a keyboard (Ensoniq ks32) to create the sounds. They have a very good sound except that no matter how I eq them, they sound crappy. If I don't take away like -9db (60hz or so) at the low end, they saturate badly. This solves the bassy problem but now, they seem to thin; almost non-existant. Even the guitars are masking them. It's hard rock music, so these are vital to stand out.

I am using an Akai Dps 16 recorder that does have a frequency select compressor in the on board effects but even that didn't seem to help.

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this?

do you know anything about recording???

bigwillz24 said:
Then stop EQing them...

I'm taking away EQ, not pumping it up. If I stop equalizing them, they distort.

Bigwillz, you gotta comprehend better! :rolleyes:

Most likely you've got more than one sound competing for the same spectrum. You need to give each instrument it's own space so they can all be heard properly. This means cutting lows from guitars, mids from bass, etc.

If your Ensonic instruments sound good by themselves, leave them as is, and look for competing sounds in your mix.

-aaron

jamking said:

Then the volume is too loud. I comprehend just fine you're eqing a signal that doesn't need to be eq'd according to you it sounds fine until you eq it.

Ok you want a quick answer...

Slap a high pass filter on the bass and set it around 200 hz.
Or separate them slighly using the pan knob :rolleyes:

jamking said:
They have a very good sound except ....... they sound crappy.

:D :D

Thats a good one.......When you EQ them try cutting/boosting different frequencies for each one.....Using a keyboard for hard rock drums and bass??? Not the usual approach. Maybe a wav. based drum loop (beta monkey/m-audio, etc.) will be better suited to your music.

jamking said:

You oughta behave better... ;)

I think the tip is not meant as an insult while your reply seems kinda insulting... If your tracks distort, back up with gain...

aXel

Back