waves ssl g channel

sohail

Hey guies. Im fairly new to recording. Just wanted to know if waves ssl g channel could be used to eq out mud off of snares, toms etc

Yes. Any parametric eq will do that. The ssl g channel also has a gate and compressor.

If you just need eq, you can probably use the eq that came with your daw. The ssl plugin will be more complex to use.

Makes a huge difference in the drum mixes our drummer sends us for our songs. Takes a bit of time to master but worth it.

Thanks for the advice man. And does ssl g channel add some coloration to the sound? Like waves cla 76 and kramer tape etc

I prefer the dynamics section of the E channel, especially for drums, but the G should do just fine. It colors the sound, but nowhere nears as much as the Kramer tape or the 1176. Get the UAD if you can afford them, but if not, the Waves are quite good.

I have both the waves and the uad. I tend to use the waves more, because you can type in a parameter. There are no numbers on the uad, so you can't get the amount exact, without copy/pasting them.

Yes. Any parametric eq will do that. The ssl g channel also has a gate and compressor.

If you just need eq, you can probably use the eq that came with your daw. The ssl plugin will be more complex to use.

Any EQ can be used for the basics functions mentioned in the op, but its worth mentioning that the dynamics, gate, and channel distortion in the G strip are NOT generic. The Q slopes, compressor knee, non linear attack and release time of the gate make this channel strip unique.

Anyone (including myself) who's tried to clone the settings with generic protools plugins or Waves Q8 and C1 plugins knows this is true. They do't behave the same. In this case, you can't assume all gates are just simply gates, or EQ's are just EQ's.

Of course, but in the context of the question it's pretty pointless to point any of this out. My point was that the OP could cut the mud out of drums with the tools he already has, without shelling out a couple hundred dollards for the plugin and the dongle.

No, the waves G-channel doesn't act the same as stock EQ, or even the SSL channel from UAD (which emulates the exact same thing), but it is not the only, or necessarily the best tool for him and his situation. Because of the nature of the question, it is pretty safe to assume that any of the cord sniffing differences between EQ's and such would probably be lost on him at this point in his learning process.

Back