Waves Gold Bundle Compressors

wallsstreet

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,

I have the waves Gold Bundle, but I'm still having a problem with compressing the lead Vocal. My problem is:

I need to know which compressor to use to keep the vocal from getting to loud? It's like 4 compressors (c1, c1 w/gate, c4, and a few more),

Also, I need to know on the compressor, which is it, the threshold that really controls how loud it really gets?

Thanks!

I'm using Protools LE, PC 2.4 gig, 512mb

Waves Compressors

Try the RenVox compressor for vocals (I believe it is included with Waves Gold). Very simple to use and a nice warm sound.

Play around with different settings.

The C1 should do what you want it to do. Decide how loud you want the vocal to get, put the threshold a few db below that, and play with the ratio setting to see how it sounds at 2:1, 4:1, etc. Then, use the makeup gain to get the overall volume where you want it.

The C1 willl work just fine.

Play with your treshold until you feel that you are at the right level (the reduction meter will help you see how much you are reducing;). Keep an eye you don't compress much more than 5 dB, because a plugin compressor can sound a bit artificial (although I don't know about the C1).

Once you've got the treshhold right you can move on the Ratio, how much you want to compress it. You can also make a really wide knee setting with vocals, so that even the loudest parts sit back in the mix.

YOU can use the C1 but I've found that the RCL(Rennaissance Compressor/limiter) is superior to the C1 especially for vox, but the C1 is cool, you can use it in sidechain mode and use it as a deesser or something like that.

I'm pretty sure the RCL comes with your bundle

C1 or RenCompressor is great for vocals.

Multiband compression (C4) is just overkill for anything but mastering in my opinion. The "L1 idea" on tracks suggested above seems like a pretty duff idea as well. I'd be curious to hear the final results using that technique because it's so unorthodox to me.

Cloneboy Studio said:
Multiband compression (C4) is just overkill for anything but mastering in my opinion.

I find most people kill their masters with multiband compression too. I like to think of it as selective-band compression instead of assuming all bands will be compressed.

Cloneboy Studio said:
C1 or RenCompressor is great for vocals.

Multiband compression (C4) is just overkill for anything but mastering in my opinion. The "L1 idea" on tracks suggested above seems like a pretty duff idea as well. I'd be curious to hear the final results using that technique because it's so unorthodox to me.

Here's one:

You just have to be sure you de-ess AFTER the L1 or it gets ugly.

mixandmaster said:
Here's one:

You just have to be sure you de-ess AFTER the L1 or it gets ugly.

I assume in your clip you only did that for the vocals. Sounds good. I'm not sure if it would work on *everything* in a rock mix, but judging from your results it's working out for you.

BrettB said:
a bit drastic for vocals, don't you think?

Dave Pensado put L1's at the end of Xtina Vocal chain on her second LP... I dunno if it was for every track or just a select few.

C1 is a good and working choice but Rcompressor does the job mutch better but if you think the voice is too low, try to lower all instruments! If your mix is too loud, you´ll not have enought head room for dinamics...try only use limiters to limit peaks. First try to balance your mix without compression, than used the compression to make a more solid mix, not to make instruments louder. This is the first step for a good balanced mix, and leave de loudness tools for mastering.

Chears

Marciano

Back