Wave PAZ weighting (or general Analysis) EQ / Mix question also Genelec question

caseybasichis

Hi,
Does anyone here use the Waves PAZ when mixing and EQing? What is the best weighting (dba, dbb, dbc) for determining where to cut the spectrum from bass and kick to get nice interlocking of the parts? I have been going though that 7 cd waves tutorial and it doesn't really seem like they do a whole lot to the parts, i know its a subtle art but how much cutting should i really be doing to get the kick and bass clear and the vocals integrated well into the mix? (Btw the music is kind of post rock, distorted electronic drums and electric bass, i really haven't figure out which should be more predominant in the low end)

Also a side note, anyone here use genelecs? I have been using some Event 20/20's. I tried the Genelecs at the studio at school the other day. I can't figure it out. Everything seems so clear that i can't figure out how to mix on them. With my events, the bottom gets muddy and then i fix it, simple. The genelcs are so clear that nothing ever sounds muddy to me. Is it just me? I also have a pair of ns-10s that i didnt bring to school and ive had no problem with them. I want to be able to mix in the studio at school, it hass really great sound dampening and nice gear (protools hd etc) but im kind of at a loss.

Gee thanks, I really would have never would have thought of that. It's not like its from a lack of trying, i care about the material, and if i can get a tool to assist me, then fuck all im gonna use it. Of course the question was how...

caseybasichis said:
Gee thanks, I really would have never would have thought of that. It's not like its from a lack of trying
Then I'd say you're not trying hard enough......... point is, you HAVE to learn how to use your ears for the task - period. An SA is not going to be helpful except to point out gross deficiencies that your ears should already be catching anyways.......

caseybasichis said:
What is the best weighting (dba, dbb, dbc) for determining where to cut the spectrum from bass and kick to get nice interlocking of the parts? ... i know its a subtle art but how much cutting should i really be doing to get the kick and bass clear and the vocals integrated well into the mix?
I use spectrums for a lot of things in my home environment...

I don't see the point of using any weighting for frequency carving, either on a spectrum or an EQ or compressor. I use GlissEQ2 and Soniformer2 (compressor) that both have weightings of that type but I don't use it for that.

I do use a 'pink' slope (-3dB/octave tilt - on PAZ that would be a flat line) that generally will mark the slope of mids in modern rock music...both of the tools I mentioned have that capability - I've never used PAZ so I don't know about that. I'm not sure that's enough resolution in the bass region to see some of the resonances down in there.

In the case of frequency carving the use of a spectrum analyzer can be a bit deceiving...it might be nice to view your work after you've EQ'd it to see what you've done but as a guide I don't know...

I use spectrums to check mid curves (100Hz thru 4KHz), check sub-bass since I can't hear 15Hz I just look to see what the energy is down there on the spectrum (remember sub-bass looks a little funny at 1/6 octave), check the highs and see what the energy is there - I can't hear much above 16 or 17KHz so I watch :D

ED: I think I stand corrected on PAZ low frequency resolution - I guess you can set it to greater than 1/6 octave - I don't have one to play with so I can't say how the spectrum translates to a 16K point FFT spectrum like GlissEQ2 has...

Last edited:
I use Genelec S30s. They are amazing. And expensive. But I like them WAAAAYYY better than any of the 2-way Genelecs. I got mine when a studio went out of business. What model do they have at the school?

I don't use the PAZ.

Blue Bear Sound said:
You hear with your ears, not your eyes...........

Simple, and true.

What's the difference between a good and bad book? They use the same words and letters?

The point is how does it affect you? Are certain frequencies dominating a mix and emphasising elements that it shouldn't? A Rap mix is going to have way more bass than an acoustic or Rock tune. Even different styles of the same Genre will look differently in a spectrum analyzer. Hell, even the same band recorded at the same studio on the same day playing a song in a different key or with a different texture can look radically different.

In addition to your ears, use your gut to tell you what is wrong. What "feels" wrong most likely is.

Back