VST Asymmetrical Clipping Plugin

Sonixx

Is anyone aware of a Windows VST Clipping Plug-In with independent positive and negative adjustable clip levels

Also, a plugin to add DC offset.

Cheers...

You could do both of these quite easily with Reaktor, but I'd think getting Reaktor just to do that is an overkill.

I believe there is a plugin called ShapeShifter, which is sort of a waveshaper/filter/delay type thing that might have the type of clipper you're after. FM7/8 also have that type of clipper and you can route external audio through them, so you could use it as an effect.

I am not aware of any plugin that would do DC offset other than the build/develop environments such as Reaktor, Plogue Bidule, Max/MSP, AudioMulch and the like, which kind of makes sense. DC offset is not something you want to purposely induce, unless you're combining it with other DSP stuff that respond well to it such as distortions, clipping, waveshaping and such. In fact DC offset + Clipping is exactly how PWM is implemented on Kurzweil's VAST synthesis which opens up a lot of possibilities over classic PWM implementation.

If I remember right, CoolEdit 2000 I have has a quite interesting distorsion, where you can set the transfer curve individualy for positive and negative.

Also the dynamics processor is really well adjustable - expanding/compressing in one graph, RMS/peak...

But it is not a VST, you have to process some mixdown.

thanks guys...

I use Samplitude.

noisewreck, I'll check your article and LeeRosario, yeah I want to move the wave with DC.

noisewreck said:
In fact DC offset + Clipping is exactly how PWM is implemented on Kurzweil's VAST synthesis which opens up a lot of possibilities over classic PWM implementation.
Noise, I don't want to hijack the thread, and maybe the answer is too involved, but: I think I can understand how DC & Clipping can create PWM, but I'm not sure I get how that provides any advantages over something like a standard LFO modulation. What's the difference in end result? Additionally - and you can throw this in PM if you want, as it is quite OT - but I'm wondering if you've had a chance to play around with the Audeon UFO synth yet and what your impressions were on it?

G.

well, I've figured a work around...

For DC offset, I've created a Square Wave and Looped a very short section to create a DC level

For the asymmetrical clip, I'm using GClips followed with a DC filter

Back