Volume matching with plugins

davecg321

Let's say we have a track that peaks at -10 dbfs. Once the track has some compression and whatnot inserted should I use the output of the plugin/s to get the highest peak back to -10 dbfs on the track fader?

Most tutorials on using compressors/preamp emulation demonstrate purely doing it by ear.

:guitar:

Do it by ear.

It honestly completely depends on what you're trying to do with the compressor, but consider that if you like the average level, then squish down the peaks, then raise the whole things so the peaks are back where they were, the average will be too loud.

OTOH, if you're using the compressor to accentuate the peaks...well they shouldn't change much anyway???

Do it by ear.

Let's say we have a track that peaks at -10 dbfs. Once the track has some compression and whatnot inserted should I use the output of the plugin/s to get the highest peak back to -10 dbfs on the track fader?

I think you're probably overthinking it a bit. You could get it back up to -10 with the compressor output, but that's the same as doing it with the track fader (assuming there's no plugins after the compressor, at least). There won't be any changes in quality of your mix if the output is at -20 or -10. It's all relative.
Focus on making the song kick ass and everything else will fall into line ;)

The peak value doesn't matter. Peaks don't equal volume, sustained sounds will determine the volume of something, not all the random spikes.

Ya, you (uhhh) don't (hmmmm) want to (sigh) become meter-centric . There's one guy always asking where his meters should be : )

But sure, go ahead. If you was hardware, you might do the same

A good reason to use the make up gain to level match the output with the input is so you can compare the two using the bypass control. But they will never truly match.

unless you have a need for gain makeup,
don't bother with it.
that's what the faders are for.

there may be something inherent in the plug you are using, where the makeup gain IS part of the sound,
and not just level...
but your ears would have to determine that to be true or not.

Back