Vocals go out of key when bounced?

Niall Condon

hey, everytime i bounce a track in logic the vocals sound out of key, but when play the mix through my interface it doesnt sound out of key?, i have my volume at the highest when recording

ps. Sorry for the vague details, if you have questions i'll answer

i have my volume at the highest when recording
Well... I have no idea why your vocals would sound out of key when you bounce tracks and not otherwise... but recording at the highest volume is not a good idea. (I'm assuming that's what you meant and weren't referring to backing's playback during recording.) It can cause a kind of distortion called 'clipping' that is virtually impossible to fix in post which can cause rigorous contact between your head and your desk if it's a good performance.
Do yourself a favor and record every track with a very generous amount of headroom.

THIS was the original thread, for reference.

Here's my last reply, that never got answered by the OP:

How are you playing back the recordings through the MacBook speakers (I assume those are the tiny speakers built into the computer?) or iPod? Are you converting to iTunes format? That could be the culprit.
Post some more (use the 'get your 10 posts here' thread) to get the 15 posts needed in order to post a link, than upload your mix somewhere so we can listen to it to help pinpoint any problems. Use the 'MP3 Mixing Clinic' section of this forum.

Just guessing the problem is playback through the tiny Macbook speakers vs headphones plugged into the interface, but until we get all details on the equipment used, we're just stabbing in the dark.

Back