Vocals... before or after mixing?

actorindp

Just wanna get some opinions on this topic.

Do you think It's

A) better to mix/master a song then lay the vocals over it

or

B) Fit Vocals into the mix?

Thanks...

Well, mixing is something you can't finish without vocals. Also, seeing as how I amost always start mixing by making the vocals sound right, I couldn't really do any mixing until the vocals are done.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Definitely B!

Usually, the vocal is sort of the centerpiece of the entire song. This means you would need the vocals to determine how to mix the rest of the song.

To 'B' or not to 'B'... what was the question again?

Vocals are as much of the mix process as anything else. I usually RECORD them last, but mix them with everything else.

some do a plot take of the voice first, then drum, base and oll others and at last retake the voice again.

Hmmmmmm...........since it would be impossible to "master" a tune until it's all tracked and mixed, I suppose I'd have to go with option D.:D

mixing with vocal tracks allows every instrument in the mix to work with and around the vocals. Also by mixing with vocals included, you can utilize duckers to help balance the mix between vocals and other instruments that occupy the same frequency spectrum. Try doing that with vocals tracked over a 2-track mixdown and you will get the karaoke effect where everything drops when the vocals come in.

Karaoke Effect

is there a tutorial for frequency spectrums..im a noob and im clueless as to how to make my vox sound liek they are actually in the song

Re: Karaoke Effect

Sirflex10 said:
is there a tutorial for frequency spectrums..im a noob and im clueless as to how to make my vox sound liek they are actually in the song

sound less like an issue of frequency and more of an issue of how everything was recorded/mixed/effects.

Back