vocal mixing

bunnyfunk

I am doing a project with a lead vocal, and two backup vocals doing the harmonys. My question is, should I add individual reverb,delay and other effects to the vocals? Or should I mix all three together, and then add effects to the three mixed vocals? would it sound cleaner effecting the vocals mixed, or "bigger" effecting each vocal individually? Another way i was thinking would be to individually effect the lead vocal, and then do the other two toghether, but I dont want the lead to stand to far out in the chorus. Any thoughts and opinions are appreciated!

I'm sure most everyone responding to this will have a different opinion . . . but you ask for any thoughts and opinions, so here goes :

Lead Vocal - Compression for sure , reverb & delay if appropriate, Keep separate from backup vocals and my personal opinion is that it should stand out a bit . . . even in the chorus.

Backing Vocals - Compression, reverb, delay, chorus, flanging, whatever meets the mood - Do separate tracks and pan the different voices in the stereo field with the Lead Vocal panned toward the center. With planning, and a mixer, you could still do the two backups together.

Final Mixdown - Tweak reverb and compression with rest of mix

Again, this is just my opinion. It's really up to individual taste, but my point is, when you do individual tracks of each vocal part, you have a lot more flexibility in how you mix . . . pan
effects, etc. This can really make or break the sound of a song. Any other opinions ?

Regards,
PAPicker

Yo Funky-Bunny:

The lead point to your question is BACK-UP VOCALISTS. If they are back-up voices, they belong in the background. Therefore, however you want to tweak your reverb , you want the emphasis on your lead vocalist. Right? Right!

Not to say that you leave the back-ups dry; but, a lead vocal should be LEADING. The Doo-Wahh people do just that.

Experiment. Also, mix-down after you listen to the mix set-up on SPEAKERS. Headphones are nice but most headphones give you a much better environment that you will get if you only use phones to set your dials.

Green Hornet

Back