Vocal Editing process

Thirst

Hey howz it goin fellaz..? new ta hear so hear me out... My quality as of now is ok, its decent but i have the equipment to turn out a much better product.. Ive heard my friend who is a producer turn out some really good stuff and my setup is better then his.. I have the following for equipment

3.06Ghz pentium 4
1.4Gb Ram
sound blaster live 2 platinum sound card
Rode NT1 condensor mic
XLR monster cable
Event TR5 studio monitors w/ 1/4 " jacks
Bherenger mixer w/phantom power support
and cool edit

Now im positive the mistake is coming from my lack of knowledge in the mixing area because a friend wit tha same setup n computer half as good as mines turns out an almost flawless project. Now I do hiphop music, like i said my quality now is decent but Im sure it could be alot better.. Ive tried to find a how to on mixing n thingz of that nature, but ta no avail have turned up empty handed.. Im getting to what my knowledge is a good signal from tha mic , tha little room in which i record my vocals is not fully sound proofed but does a well job so I do not think it has to do with that. I will upload a picture of mic placement so you can see for yourself.. I am sure that it has to do with my mixing skillz in general. Now I use cool edit pro to mix n process all of my audio mixes.. Can anyone help me..
ok now heres a sample of me rappin that i put together..

http://www.soundclick.com/util/stre...?ID=628590&q=Hi

the mic in the pic is not being used, i now use a rode nt1.. lol and i have a shure pop sheild not the bootleg panty hose one lmao..

Attachments

• thabooth.jpg
    thabooth.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 292
Tssk, tssk, crosspost.

If two posts fall in the woods (at the same time), do they make a sound?

You know, due to phasing issues from the bass amp?

And please refrain from using such spellings/words as skillz, speakerz, tha, ta, howz, ur, hott, and sauce. People will think you do hip-hop.

MP

p.s. Anything ending in -izzle or -eezee is permitted, as is y'all.

Thirst check back in the Cool Edit forum.

The resposes have moved past spelling issues.

Do you mount the NT1 on a stand???? or hang it like in the pic.???

BTW.....I think that link is broken.

If you don't have/use a stand for the mic, I would get one because it will give you more mic positioning options.

-mike

you DO have some "weak" links in your chain. ha.
that soundcard is not the greatest recording soundcard - and you'll get noticibly better results upgrading to something meant for recording, even for 100 bucks i bet. Especially with that nice mic, and decent monitors.
Also, behringer mixer pre's are generally not so great - what model do you have? maybe a dedicated preamp would be a better buy, especially if you are only recording vocals.

i didnt listen to your track cuz all i got at this computer is computer speakers, not my monitors. but, i suggest learning to use a compressor and reverb properly, and you'll get tite vocals that sit nice with the beats.

mallcore pop said:
And please refrain from using such spellings/words as skillz, speakerz, tha, ta, howz, ur, hott, and sauce. People will think you do hip-hop.

word to yo motha!

"Yo" used in place of "your" is not permitted. However, it may be used as an exclamatory greeting if the user currently resides in or within 60 miles of New Jersey, and can provide the required documentation. Please allow 3 business days for processing.

If you are from New Jersey and wish to say "Yo", but do not yet have written authorization, you may use the substitute "Ay-yo". However, you must edit your post to "Yo" upon authorization. Unedited posts will be deleted.

As of 10-20-03, all users have the option of adding "-izzle" or "-eezee" to "Yo".

Note: The Green Hornet, pipelineaudio, and sweetnubs are exempt from the previous "yo" restrictions.

"Motha" and "Mutha" are not permitted. There have been problems in the past with users wishing to comment on Manley's Variable Mu. If you wish to do so, please do not follow the word "Mu" with "thanks" or "that's", as it triggers false alerts from our screening software. We are working to correct this problem.

All unedited posts will be deleted.

Thank you for your cooperation.

MPizzle

Last edited:
lmao... ^^ even i can respect that joke lol... I have a Behringer eurorack ub802, not the best im sure but if I have to uprade Im sure i can scramble the money some how. pre amp soundz like a good idea. Here is tha link this one will work, i tried to link you right to tha song tha correct link is here

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/2/thirst1music.htm

you can click on the top one labeled " Tha kid thirst "

its the latest one that I have recorded using the equipment I have. Yes the Rode nt1 is mounted on the wall like the shure sm58 is in the picture, should I get a stand still..? A pre amp would probably suit me considering I paid 69.99 for this 2 track mixer.. Anything else..?

Ps: and im from boston so I can say yo, izzle, dizzle, dog, watttup, peaze, substitute z's for s's n ur's for yours all i want.. boston invented it, nerjersey just co signed too it.. get me... word up.. 1.. lmao

new methods

i'd say first thing is to try another sound card..... getting the mic stand is a definite bonus but doesnt help matters when people still want to get all up on the mic like they are in busta rhymes's studio or something. a pop filter extension seems help when keeping thugz from trying to swallow the mic. if that doesnt work then try making them sit. its kinda weird to see how people change their expressional vocaling when they are standing and sitting. oh yeah and I'm from north carolina so tha, skillz, izzle and others are common place along with words such as "finned" meaning "about to" as in "I finned ta record me some hiphop 'cauz i got skillz" and we still use words made nationally recognized by Jeff Foxworthy like jeetyet, naw'ju, yontoo and aight

ok this sound sound does happen to eliminate computer noise because there is no computer noise in my vocal accapella. It is meant to record, it records at 96khz 24 bit jus like all of the other sound cardz doo, the only difference being it doesnt have multiple inputs for say 2 mics or xlr inputs but tha signal it gets is just as clean as a delta 66 card or pro tools digi 001 setup.. The only problem is in my mixing as I have tried to state above, its in the mixing stages that I am having problems with, such as compression graphic equalizing and what not..

is there an echo in here?

i just checked out the track with the badboy beat and i thought it sounded pretty good. had me smiling

There's some kind of percussive thok noise happening sporadically throughout the song which detracts.

The vocal sounds pretty good.

I'm with the other posters in recommending you get yourself a better sound card. An M-Audio audiophile or delta 44 will have better dac converters than your soundblaster.

Also, cool edit only works on 2 tracks at a time. You might want to look at some proper multitracking software, like one of the Cakewalk products that come with nice effects plugins and dynamics processing

Cool Edit IS a proper multitracker.

It will definitely work on more than 2 tracks at a time.

And it comes with quite a bit of useable effects and some convoluting type effect wich I've yet to dive into but seems to be the direction of software reverb at the moment.

-mike

RE: your sound booth.

Your sound booth is all foam and is no bigger than a phone booth. There are no good accoustic properties other than there is little outside noise. Try taking your condensor mic out of the booth and put it in a room with some space. put the vocalist a 3-4 feet out from the corner with their back to the corner so they are singing out to the center of the room. You will get a more live sound because the sound waves have room to move. Yes you will get environmental noise, especially using a condenser mic. However the quality of the mic is offset by using a soundblaster card. Anyway, even if you need to run a noise gate to cut out the "noise" I think you will get a much more natural recording.

I think your sound booth would work great for narration but not singing.

jack

now ive been wondering this for the past couple of days. I talked to a local producer and what would the difference be in tha sound blaster compared to a delta 44.. I mean the sound blaster audigy platinum 2 ex that I have records at 96khz/24bit true time recording.. So i dont get how that sound card is going to be any better except for multitrack recording and I dont do multitrack recording I only record vocals, and not 2 or 3 people at a time just one person. So how would that help. I think the most logical step would be to look into a sufficiant mic pre amplifier, I was some on ebay for a fairly good price but I just bought my studio monitors so I have to save a bit first. Thanks and if you can explain the differences Id appreciate it..

You're right. I think the guys who recommended that you get a new card may not have known what the Audigy 2 is.

I tried listening to your clip but the server is down. Maybe I can check it out later

Back