Using the same takes for parts in songs that repeat

I have done it to fix a problem that we have found late in the process, but usually I don't do it as I like the differences. I have also cut and pasted the music from a verse and chorus to extend a song to add a verse or solo.

So my answers is don't do it unless you need to.

Now if you are talking about electronic or dance music, cut and paste as much as you want.

Alan.

I did it once for a bar or two because I couldn't match the guitar tone despite hours of effort.

Lead vocals - I'll record 10 tracks all the way from start to finish

same here. i usually pull the most takes from try number 7-8. in the beginning, i'm still warming up (after a 30 min pre-recording warmup) and in the end, my voice is starting to go. that comes from uncanny ability to write the highest parts at the peak of my range. if i spent more time on the key, i might not have to do that so much.

I did it once for a bar or two because I couldn't match the guitar tone despite hours of effort.

that's probably frustrating. if i used real amps, i feel i'd need to write everything down. luckily Amp4 has a "save preset" option. ran into that scenario yesterday

that's probably frustrating. if i used real amps, i feel i'd need to write everything down. luckily Amp4 has a "save preset" option. ran into that scenario yesterday

Take a photo of the front of your amp if you're onto something good.

I rarely fuck with my EQ on my amp though - I generally just adjust the gain/volume.
You should try recording with an amp and mic, mate. You'd like it!

Take a photo of the front of your amp if you're onto something good.

I rarely fuck with my EQ on my amp though - I generally just adjust the gain/volume.
You should try recording with an amp and mic, mate. You'd like it!

dude, i know i'll like it! ha! when I move, amps/mics are on my list of things to get. right after monitors.

i have been wondering what I would buy seeing as the main sound I'm recording with is a virtual Mesa Boogie 4x12 through the virtual Dual Rec. Not really feasible to have that at home....? and the $. That big rock sound is important to the music i'm making/recording, so not sure what route to go there. you know?

dude, i know i'll like it! ha! when I move, amps/mics are on my list of things to get. right after monitors.

i have been wondering what I would buy seeing as the main sound I'm recording with is a virtual Mesa Boogie 4x12 through the virtual Dual Rec. Not really feasible to have that at home....? and the $. That big rock sound is important to the music i'm making/recording, so not sure what route to go there. you know?

Greg is probably your best bet for advice on that... from what you've posted I'd guess your budget/what you're willing to pay isn't that different to mine.

1. I wouldn't get a combo again - get a 2x12 and head.
2. 15 - 20W head is loud enough for quality recording/playing live - its certainly loud enough to get a speaker moving some air.
3. Minerman has a nice 15W EVH head that he's getting some great modern tones out of - check out his latest stuff in the Tone Thread. That's only a little over 500 quid.
4. My Blackstar Studio 20 comes as head only and that's just under 500 quid. Randall do a few really versatile amps which are geared towards modern metal.
5. I've tried a Victory V30 head - this was amazing - I really want one. This is 800 quid though.
6. Orange have a bunch of options at the right sort of wattage between 500 - 1000 quid - don't think they're your cup of tea though. Same with the low wattage Marshall Head I tried - it was shit.
7. I tried a Laney Ironheart recently - that was pretty good too, probably too geared towards metal for me though.

Basically - what I'm getting at is that there's fuck loads of stuff between 500 and 1000 quid. But if you want to go to Mesa then you're going over a grand. Even their mini rectifier head is over 1200 quid. Fuck that!

You're making a good job of using sims but you'll never get away from that really modern compressed, pop/alternative metal sound that you have. Even if you want that sound, a real amp will make things sound so much more alive!

Referring to vocals, it's rare for me. Let's say I have 4 sections of backup vocals (same or different words). I'll punch in 10 tracks of each section, move ahead do 10 more for the next section and so on. Then I comp each section into one (or two) backup sections. I do the highest/hardest ones last because I do the whole song in one sitting and I don't want to blow out my voice before it's done.

Lead vocals - I'll record 10 tracks all the way from start to finish, then comp it in sections as it's faster and easier to do it in pieces.

I do remember one time I forgot to do one of the backups sections. It happened to be the same words so I just copied and pasted one of the other sections where it was missing.

Rhythm guitars are never copied/pasted nor are leads for my songs.

10 takes?! For at most 2 final takes? Dang! I do 5 (good) takes for leads - which I bounce down to 3. And 3 good takes for BGVs - which I bounce down to 2. Do you not throw out your bad takes?

Do you not throw out your bad takes?

i know you quoted Ido, but can I interject? :)

what I do is keep all the takes, then comb over every line. I might select the first line from take 3, and then next line from take 9. But I make sure they fit the groove, style, and vibe from the previous line. So, no, I do not throw away entire takes...only bad lines. if you were to listen to any of my tracks, each line is from a different take...but you most likely wouldn't be able to tell because they are recorded within the same hour, within the same room, and with a similar feel.

sorry for stealing that quote and using it for me. :D that was probs a d*ck move. :wtf:

Once our singer is warmed up she usually gets it on the first or second take, then I might do one more for comps or go through and punch a line here and there.

All the stuff I do is full takes. No copy and paste. Most times it's full takes of the whole band as well.

I'm not opposed to copy and paste. If that works, cool.
I just happen to have grown up with the play it all the way through mentality.

Besides, being new to daws, I don't even know how to copy and paste.
:D

how do you approach a/your vocalist when they want to punch in/redo a line at some point? i'm guessing back the track up 30 seconds or so before the edit?

Do another take on another track. Worst case scenario, you comp the tracks at mixdown.

Most of the stuff however, is a single performance. Just rehearse the shit out of the band before ever hitting record.

how do you approach a/your vocalist when they want to punch in/redo a line at some point? i'm guessing back the track up 30 seconds or so before the edit?

I'll cut out the section that needs fixing plus a few measures ahead of that and go. If they need a cue I'll copy the track and make a cue track, editing it so their vocal track plays until a couple of lines ahead of the punch. Then I'll just delete the cue track. It's nice if they can sing a couple of lines ahead of the actual punch.

what I do is keep all the takes, then comb over every line. I might select the first line from take 3, and then next line from take 9. But I make sure they fit the groove, style, and vibe from the previous line. So, no, I do not throw away entire takes...only bad lines. if you were to listen to any of my tracks, each line is from a different take...but you most likely wouldn't be able to tell because they are recorded within the same hour, within the same room, and with a similar feel.

sorry for stealing that quote and using it for me. :D that was probs a d*ck move. :wtf:

I record vocals in a separate project with a backing track. After I comp (as described above) I import the final vocal track into the main project and throw away the entire vocal project. No need to save any of the 10 tracks after I've got the vocal comped.

I record vocals in a separate project with a backing track. After I comp (as described above) I import the final vocal track into the main project and throw away the entire vocal project. No need to save any of the 10 tracks after I've got the vocal comped.

well yeah, 10 until it's time to bring that down to 1. some days i find that fun, other days I find it meh. takes me a good few hours to comb over it all and get one track out of it.

Nah. The question was meant for you too. I didn't multi-quote it because your post was on the next page.

You mentioned on the next page that you kind of like editing? That's probably the difference. I hate editing! For me, it's the only part of the process with no creative aspect. So editing down from 10 takes (where I can't remember which ones are good and on which lines) sounds awful! :D

I'm not opposed to copy and paste. If that works, cool.

For me, even though I will readily copy n paste, I still play every part all the way through. Hell, I love playing and don't want to stop. But I'll go back and if there's a section with a lot of mistakes, I'll just copy a better section. I do that more because I don't like to retrack (don't know why) and if I do retrack, I'll probably play it worse. lol

F and if I do retrack, I'll probably play it worse. lol

I find the best takes are usually arrive in the first three. After that there's a tendency to create more mistakes than the ones you fix, and you end up with diminishing returns. If I haven't (or whoever is recording hasn't) nailed it within about three takes, we either live with what we have, or put it aside and come back to another day.

Back